Horrible battery life on Optimus laptop with prime

Recently freshly installed manjaro 18.1.5 with prime 440x driver. And i'm using Argos nvidia and intel switiching mode. So far the switching is good but the battery life using only intel is really bad where my battery drains within 15min time even after fully charging it. Before this when I was using bumblee it wasn't as bad as this. Anyone going through this with their laptop escpecially optimus laptop.
Currenty running: Manjaro 18.1.5 with kernel 5.4.13-3
Nvidia Graphic 1050ti
Intel I7 7700HQ
RAM 16GB

Not sure if you've heard of it but I've had the same issues on a similar laptop and used powertop to see what was draining the battery. I was able to figure our that the dGPU wasn't actually powering down. I also found a few applications that were using way too much CPU. Very handy tool for situations like this.

See

You could try an older driver to completly switch of your nvidia card.
Also see

1 Like

If your BIOS / UEFI firmware allows you to disable the nVidia card, the easiest way is to:

• Install video-nvidia-nnnxx where nnn is the video driver version that is compatible with your card
  • reboot and enable the nVidia card when you're on mains power
  • reboot and disable the nVidia card when on the road.

That's the ideal situation for light work on the road, but does not help you if you plan to watch FHD movies or want to play high-end games while on the road. In that case, an external battery pack would be better.

Also check your internal battery's health by doing a:

inxi --battery
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 80 Wh condition: 80.0/90.0 Wh (88%) 

when your battery is fully charged. If the % is lower than 50% it is time to replace the internal battery.

If your BIOS/UEFI firmware does not allow the above, this is the place to go as that is the most complete tutorial there is around here and gives you the same features without a reboot (but is a tad more complex to install)

For anything pre-Turing prime mhwd config is not enough. Frankly speaking, not enough at all. Better remove that config. Then see this:

Thanks for this. I'll give it a try. I've been using acpi_call via these instructions which works but also doesn't allow for easy switching - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hybrid_graphics#Fully_Power_Down_Discrete_GPU

Edit: This method works great! It also fixed some graphical glitches I was having on Cinnamon. Thanks again.

1 Like

Use powertop to see where the problem lays. This isn't normal and something is set the wrong way.
I'm using optimus-manager and it works great. I get 4-5 hours battery time on intel, probably half of it (or less) on nvidia. Hybrid mode uses 20% less than nvidia mode so it's still relatively energy greedy. Of course this all depends on your battery health and capacity.

This is my battery condition. So the problem is the battery not the software. Thank you for your help.
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 8.8 Wh condition: 9.7/47.5 Wh (20%)

1 Like

Does the developer has the plan to include an official prime switcher? The lack of the official prime switcher is the only major flaw in Manjaro, in my point of view.

Do my instructions work for you? If so, mark it solved.

2 Likes

In that case you need to search and buy a new battery. I also had to replace battery on my laptop. It may not be cheap but it's still way cheaper than a new laptop so it's worth it. In my case, I contacted my local Dell support center and ordered the proper battery. Then I had to replace it myself, which wasn't easy, because in my model it needed taking the whole laptop apart to get to it, so it was a risky operation but finally I succeeded. Luckily, most laptop models have easy access to a battery. I recommend you to buy original one. Replacements won't last as long and won't have full capacity, so it's better to spend a bit more to get the real deal.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by