hot laptop

greetings.
first of all, big thanks to the manjaro team who made all this happening! i'm using the xfce version, and manjaro seems to be the only distro that boots from usb without a problem. i tryed several in the past weeks and noone did the preperation of the usb-stick right.

i'm running manjaro on a laptop (hp envy dv7) and it gets too hot at idle for my liking. cpu temperature is idle at ~45-50 C° and i can hear the fan working. cpu speed is at 1.2 GHz at idle. when listening to music through a browser sensor-temp raises to 60C° and it gets even hotter. but overall cpu load is only at 3-4%. i have thermald and tlp running.
is it maybe the nvidia 3d accelerator that generates so much heat? i'm using default video driver. when switching to nvidia driver and reboot screen is black.
any help would be very appreciated.
thanks
holli

What is the target temperature, and is that something you have achieved before?

What else is running on the laptop?

What are the ambient temperatures?

Have you cleaned out the laptop vents recently?

Okay, so i had the same problem on ubuntu before. The laptop gets hot because only Nvidia card is used. i'm assuming you have a laptop with an optimus config, with one nvidia and one intel gpu. in any case, post output of this. lspci | grep "VGA|3D"
i'd suggest using optimus manager. works like a charm for me. bumblebee is too old and Nvidia-Prime is too hard to config

i hate to say it, especially here, but with win10 it stayed cool.

this gives no output in return

Try this lspci | grep "VGA" && lspci | grep "3D". if you see two gpus, follow this guide

okay, i will try that. thank you for pointing at this guide. i think it's the gpu.

1 Like

optimus daemon seems to be running, but now the laptop is getting hotter and cpu temp is at 66°C at idle. systemctl shows an error with unloading the nvidia module.

● optimus-manager.service - Optimus Manager Commands Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/optimus-manager.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2019-08-27 11:03:07 CEST; 19min ago
  Process: 590 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/prime-switch-boot (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 663 (python3)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
   Memory: 28.3M
   CGroup: /system.slice/optimus-manager.service
           └─663 /usr/bin/python3 -u /usr/bin/optimus-manager-daemon
Aug 27 11:03:07 qwerty prime-switch-boot[590]: Unloading Nvidia modules
Aug 27 11:03:07 qwerty prime-switch-boot[590]: Cannot setup GPU : kernel setup error : Cannot unload Nvidia modules : Failed to execute 'modprobe -r nvidia_>
Aug 27 11:03:07 qwerty systemd[1]: Started Optimus Manager Commands Daemon.
Aug 27 11:03:08 qwerty python3[663]: Optimus Manager (Daemon) version 1.1
Aug 27 11:03:08 qwerty python3[663]: Automatic log cropping
Aug 27 11:03:08 qwerty python3[663]: Loading config file
Aug 27 11:03:08 qwerty python3[663]: Opening UNIX socket
Aug 27 11:03:08 qwerty python3[663]: Awaiting commands
Aug 27 11:20:58 qwerty python3[663]: Received command : intel
Aug 27 11:20:58 qwerty python3[663]: Writing requested mode

[holli@qwerty ~]$ screenfetch

██████████████████  ████████     holli@qwerty
 ██████████████████  ████████     OS: Manjaro 18.0.4 Illyria
 ██████████████████  ████████     Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.19.66-1-MANJARO
 ██████████████████  ████████     Uptime: 22m
 ████████            ████████     Packages: 1123
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Shell: bash 5.0.7
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Resolution: 1600x900
 ████████  ████████  ████████     DE: Xfce4
 ████████  ████████  ████████     WM: Xfwm4
 ████████  ████████  ████████     WM Theme: Adapta-Maia
 ████████  ████████  ████████     GTK Theme: Matcha-dark-sea [GTK2]
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Icon Theme: Papirus-Maia
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Font: Noto Sans 10
 ████████  ████████  ████████     CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 8x 3.4GHz [64.0°C]
                                  GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile 
                                  RAM: 1045MiB / 7865MiB
[holli@qwerty ~]$

without a doubt, it's not a good option.

setting up prime is far less problematic than optimus-manager. optimus-manager uses the nouveau driver to disable the gpu and it often does not work. the alternative is to change the switching method to bbswitch but again this is problematic because you end up with the same issues as fumblebee caused by bbswitch.

because the nvidia gpu cant be powered down when any nvidia modules are loaded and optimus-manager is unable to unload it. you can try editing it's configuration file to change switching method from nouveau to bbswitch

copied your conf file and did like it is explained. lappi still getting hot :frowning:
should i use a different kernel version?

holli@qwerty ~]$ glxinfo | grep "server glx vendor string"
-> server glx vendor string: SGI

systemctl status optimus-manager.service

● optimus-manager.service - Optimus Manager Commands Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/optimus-manager.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-08-28 12:00:29 CEST; 54s ago
Process: 585 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/prime-switch-boot (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 742 ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 -u /usr/bin/optimus-manager-daemon (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 742 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 28 12:00:29 qwerty prime-switch-boot[585]: 'switching=nouveau\n'
Aug 28 12:00:29 qwerty systemd[1]: Started Optimus Manager Commands Daemon.
Aug 28 12:00:29 qwerty python3[742]: Optimus Manager (Daemon) version 1.1
Aug 28 12:00:29 qwerty python3[742]: Automatic log cropping
Aug 28 12:00:29 qwerty python3[742]: Loading config file
Aug 28 12:00:29 qwerty python3[742]: Error loading config file : Parsing error : File contains no section headers.
Aug 28 12:00:29 qwerty python3[742]: file: '/etc/optimus-manager/optimus-manager.conf', line: 9
Aug 28 12:00:29 qwerty python3[742]: 'switching=nouveau\n'
Aug 28 12:00:29 qwerty systemd[1]: optimus-manager.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 28 12:00:29 qwerty systemd[1]: optimus-manager.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

why isn't nouveau-prime installed. shouldn't that be after a new installation? pacman-manager says xf86-video-nouveau is installed.
what do you think about this guide? should i edit grub like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKasS7DWn0s
Screenshot_2019-08-28_12-26-01

no, and no. use something thats more reliable.

sudo systemctl disable optimus-manager --now
sudo optimus-manager --cleanup
sudo pacman -R optimus-manager

dont reboot, follow the instructions here

if you have any questions, just ask
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by