How do i check the manjaro-arm version running in chroot environment (aarch64 ) ?

Hello everyone , pretty new to manjaro installed it just today both on my laptop and android device.
I am using the arm-stable branch of manjaro in my android device running on a chroot environment. Since the system is based on SysVinit ( as systemd cannot work in chroot environment ), lsb-release file doesn't exist , it says no such file or directory when i try to cat it

If someone wondering its the official manjaro arm release only , just made to work in a chroot environment . Tutorial here - [How To] Run the official Manjaro ARM edition on Android with chroot environment

cat /etc/os-release shows the following

NAME="Manjaro-ARM"
ID=manjaro-arm
ID_LIKE=manjaro,arch
PRETTY_NAME="Manjaro ARM"
ANSI_COLOR="1;32"
HOME_URL="https://www.manjaro.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/c/manjaro-arm/"

Since i can't access the lsb-release file in this device , isn't there any other way to know what version of manjaro i am currently running ?

PS / - I don't have access to the GUI ( there is no dekstop environment ), so the solution necessarily has to be through command line

Are you sure?

Manjaro doesnt have 'versions'. Its a rolling-release distro.
You are either up-to-date or not.
The only 'versioning' is of packages and ISO releases (like 'snapshots' of a certain time/config)

Thanks for answering

Here's how i checked for SysVinit

[root@localhost /]# systemctl
System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
Failed to connect to bus: Host is down
[root@localhost /]#

Actually on my laptop , when i do cat /etc/lsb-release
It outputs this

DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.0.3
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Lysia
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"

I want to check this exact thing in this device

That seems like you have a problem with your system. Manjaro uses systemd.
(see other manjaro-arm threads where folks are using systemd timers and all that)

Thats actually the 'issue' to me.

Your original question .. is .. decently pointless as again those numbers mean nothing besides ISO release. Rolling distros do not have 'versions'.

No actually its supposed to be non systemd ( ie SysVinit ) because on android devices it runs on a chroot environment, there are limitations which prevent it from running on systemd ,i installed manjaro via termux . Everything is working great. Just needed to check the manjaro version ( even tho its says "there is nothing to do" on sudo pacman -Syu but wanna confirm if the version is on par with latest arm stable release )

Well then thats rather specific.

Again .. as I said .. there are no manjaro 'versions' besides the ISO releases.
I dont know how many more times I can repeat that.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=The_Rolling_Release_Development_Model

If your mirror is functioning and synced and you dont have any updates .. you are running current manjaro.

you can look up the version of the number that provides that text file

pacman -Q manjaro-release

but @cscs is right, it really doesn't mean much

yes i do understand that version number isnt really much significant if pacman -Syu says "there is nothing to do" then presumably i am running the latest release but i read 6,7 posts here in forum where people asked what version they are using , and all answers were cat /etc/lsb-release and since i cannot use that , was wondering if theres any alternative

On another note , i tried the command you told , doesnt seem to work for me
error: package 'manjaro-release' was not found

i think it would be great if manjaro adds 2,3 addtional entries in etc/os-release from the lsb-release as os-release file is always present on all machines unconditionally

@Strit hello sir , do you have any clue about it, if manjaro-arm releases have the version mentioned anywhere apart from the lsb-release

Why do you even want such a thing ?

There is no manjaro version. This isnt ubuntu. There isnt 16.04 or 18.22 or 666.42

But really.. what is the point ? Are you building software that relies on such a report or something ?

There are no "releases" of Manjaro ARM. Only image milestones called releases.

So if you use a chroot and you update it, it will be the latest packages.

Is there a reason why you want a defined release number in a chroot?

The default minimal rootfs of Manjaro ARM, does not have manjaro-release installed. So you can install it from the repo to get the /etc/lsb-release file:
pacman -Syu manjaro-release

3 Likes

I don't know, maybe it's the normal message for systemctl in a chroot.

It is. It just tells that the init system in the chroot is not running (and shouldn't be) when using the rootfs as a chroot.

2 Likes

apparently its a termux thing .. nothing applies :crazy_face:

Thanks a ton .
sudo pacman -Syu manjaro-release did it.
Now i am able to check using cat /etc/lsb-release....... exactly what I needed .. Actually i had 2 different manjaro rootfs present on my device , just wanted to check what is the version at which they ship with . Nothing much of a reason as such , but i thought its something very simple , there surely might be some easy way to get around it

Thanks again

But if they didn’t ship with manjaro-release, and you used pacman -Syu to install it, won’t they just end up showing you the same (current) version? It doesn’t tell you what you are looking for.

That’s why people are telling you the version number is mostly meaningless.

Thanks for pointing that out , i am very new to arch linux , pacman as a whole. So -Syu will also do a upgrade before installing a manjaro-release package as i suspect, i probably should try with just pacman -S manjaro-release
Cheers

That will still just grab the latest manjaro-release from the repo. You’ll still just see the same version. There’s no way to install the “original” version that came with the system at the time of system creation afaik.

1 Like

Oh wait , sorry my bad
i understood you perfectly now
Installing that package will always download the latest release file irrespective of the current version i am using , it will be useful only for future updates as in it will change everytime the system upgrades to a new version.

Unless the minimal rootfs manjaro-arm ships with lsb-release by default (which currently it doesn't ), there's no way to know the version it ships with, gotcha.
Thanks for clearing everything out

Great community here as i had been hearing from people.
Kudos to everyone helping people around here

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by