How do I install Cirrus Logic CS8409 (AB 16) drivers?

Im running Manjaro for the first time on Imac 5k, but no sound.
here is what terminal shows:

26: PCI 100.1: 0403 Audio device
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1
SysFS BusID: 0000:01:00.1
Hardware Class: sound
Model: "ATI Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590]"
Vendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
Device: pci 0xaaf0 "Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590]"
SubVendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
SubDevice: pci 0xaaf0
Driver: "snd_hda_intel"
Driver Modules: "snd_hda_intel"
Memory Range: 0x92660000-0x92663fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
IRQ: 58 (663 events)
Module Alias: "pci:v00001002d0000AAF0sv00001002sd0000AAF0bc04sc03i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: snd_hda_intel is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_hda_intel"
Attached to: #12 (PCI bridge)

can someone help me?
Cheers

Hi there,
Welcome to GNU/MAnjaro/Linux :slight_smile:

This might be long-winded .. but we have to cover some interdependent basics.

Lets do a quick (rough) breakdown of preferred install methods of software ..

• 1 ) Repos
  • 2 ) AUR
  • 3a ) Custom package
  • 3b ) Third-party repo
  • 4 ) Manual build/install (outside of package managers)

It isnt perfect .. but that is generally the scale from most to least preferred.

I wont get into transparency, trust, third party repos, and all that ..
The main thing here is that you would probably prefer to have a package that the package manager recognizes - so it can be easily updated, removed, and the system files are also tracked by the package manager - helping with things like conflicts and dependencies.
So .. even when we must go outside our normal repos, and even beyond the AUR, we would technically prefer to create a PKGBUILD to have an ALPM (arch package) compatible install file and all the niceties listed above - it also means it can be shared with others to easily use the same software.

But ... sometimes that isnt feasible due to time or knowledge, etc.
And in this case you probably wont be seeing much in the way of updates or conflicts (guessing anyways).

So back to the original question .. this is general linux, or project-specific.
Usually a git project will provide instructions on the project page.
The most common/familiar one is probably using a makefile .. in which case its often as simple as

./configure
make
make install
2 Likes

I think you are overcomplicating things. Make sure you read this first:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mac#Audio

I understand, but the problem also is that Pulseaudio is assuming that my AMD radeon 580 pro from imac is the audio card,it shows in the profile. but its not.

Is not what? That GPU most likely has an audio output either trough HDMI or DisplayPort, most modern GPUs have an audio controller.
You can disable it. Don't know what DE you are using, but for instance my Nvidia GPU has an audio controller to, that i don't use, so i disable that profile:

I have the same settings as you have, but its apple drivers, I can show from bootcamp drivers that apple provides for windows. Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 11.37.22

here is the folder with the drivers from bootcamp.

Do you think is tricky to make it run on manjaro?

but in windows it shows Cirrus Logic CS8409 (AB 16) drivers.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Chhers.
By the way .. that github page has a wiki:

Your model doesnt seem to be listed ..

Yeah, I installed and no results :/. so I can't use manjaro on this iMac. I was really enjoying working with manjaro but having no sound its a big deal. :frowning:

Is there is any other way to make it happened? I looked almost everywhere I can't find it.

Dont know ...
You might want to start a new post with your system info and such
Heres some notes on that:

I understand and agree regarding about the post, later I was thinking that making a proper post like you are mentioning would be better for other members be able to help. I just thought that I only needed to know how to install the code from GitHub, but it turns out my problem is not that. :D. So I appreciate for the help and mentioning to make a new post. I decided to install Manjaro to be able to run an emulator but it turns out that im doing already to much code when at same time Im not a developer, but just a designer, of course I can do some stuff with terminal but I feel that I being already a developer. :smiley: Kinda. So thanks for all. maybe you. can close this post and I will make a better one as you mentioned. Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by