how do i install this driver

Hey Rich,

I've marked the best of all the answer as a solution so you don't have to read all of the nerds, dweebs, geeks more technically inclined people's raves and rants:

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control!

And if something is still not clear, just tell us in plain :uk: and we'll try to be more succinct...

:innocent:

Hmm... It still works :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . But I'm not a fan of adding command to each game. Too much fuss. I prefer to launch Steam on Nvidia. One command should rule them all ;).

I don't buy arguments that it's better performance wise. If Nvidia can be used for the whole desktop and nobody says that hybrid solution works better just because it launches on Nvidia that only game, it means, Nvidia is perfectly capable of handling the whole Steam. Simple and clean, no need to worry about setting command for each game. That is my opinion.

1 Like

I only have an opinion insofar as it is suggested by smarter people who have invested more time in it than myself. Otherwise I have no idea .. kuz again .. I dont use the things :wink:
Just repeating 'proper procedure' as I understand it.
I could, for example, see not taxing the nvidia any more than you need to - one process and associated libraries, as opposed to allotting some of that gpu power to steam and its libraries and the web store and such.

so i followed the guide and last reboot give me black screen and can't use ctrl alt f2

after change to bbswitch

I removed the solution as you've run into trouble.

Which one? The one that was previously marked as solution??

i didn't mean the solution you mark

That's what CSCS was trying to say: you don't need to follow all of that as you've already got the hybrid driver installed, you just need prime-run... The bit I wanted you to do is read it and understand what you're trying to do.

At which step number are you stuck, please?

i don't really sure but the last reboot i just get pement black screen

So this one?

8. Reboot
At this point all should be done and to make it work, you need to reboot your computer.
Check if optimus-manager daemon is running correctly:

systemctl status optimus-manager.service

and you just get a black screen and Ctrl+Alt+F2 or Ctrl+Alt+F3 don't work?

yeah it doesn't work and nothing to do now

• Download another copy of Manjaro

• "Burn" it to a USB

• Boot from it

• Go to a console and execute:

pamac install manjaro-tools-base

(If it's a newer download it should come pre-installed, just being thorough here)

• execute:

manjaro-chroot -a

• execute:

mhwd --listinstalled
    mhwd --list

and provide the output of the above, please and if you run into trouble (any error messages) STOP and provide the output

:innocent:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime            2019.10.25               false            PCI

network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

> 0000:01:00.0 (0302:10de:1c8d) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-435xx-prime            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-430xx-bumblebee            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2019.10.25               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-440xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-435xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-430xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-418xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-390xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:591b) Display controller Intel Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-435xx-prime            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-430xx-bumblebee            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2019.10.25               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

OK, So we're going to try and make you display something first (remove black screen) and then we'll worry about the rest later.

1. Go to TTY2: Ctrl+Alt+F2

2. Execute:

sudo mhwd --remove pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime
    sudo mhwd --install pci video-nvidia-440xx

3. Shut down by lightly tapping the power button (<5 seconds)

4. Remove USB

5. Boot

Is the black screen gone now and can you log in?

i already told you i can't get in tty2 at all

Hold on: that's why we booted into the USB! TTY2-3-4 should work there. What's the issue? If not, you need the Architect version which ONLY boots to TTY, no GUI at all! But then you need to manually connect to the Internet through CLI only... :sob:

Did you try going to TTY2-3-4 from the USB???

:scream:

i have installed nvidia 440xx driver now but it still not work

and can you help me in discord? or another chat application cause it will be much faster

don't work

@michaldybczak I'm all out of ideas now: Tried removing hybrid and installing proprietary in a TTY and still he boots to a black screen.

Re-install?

:sob:

yeah maybe last weapon just fixing in window style

and why nvidia driver is mess in linux

It's better today than in the past. This is what Linus Torvalds had to say about nVidia 10 years ago:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forum kindly sponsored by