Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: N/A
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting tty: N/A
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.4
inxi
so the nvidia driver is N/A when i use
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
it said
Skipping already installed config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime'
i think it must work but i get 20 fps in csgo so what command that use to install nvidia driver ?
or how to make it work together it seem like only intel HD Graphics is using and NVIDIA is not used

I have no experience - just what I have seen on the forum.

You should probably use a switcher e.g. optimus-manager

Search the forum - a lot of topics - and a guide I think.

i already use optimus it doesn't have any error
and i have installed all driver now

but still i got 0% gpu usage 20% cpu usage on csgo

and 40 fps

It depends... If you want:

1. Hybrid Intel-nVidia, go here because you need to tell the driver to switch to nVidia for a particular application using prime-run...

2. nVidia maximum FPS all of the time:

sudo mhwd --remove pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime
    sudo mhwd --install pci video-nvidia-440xx
    # obviously your system will reboot after the following commend
    # so save all data before executing this:
    sudo reboot 

And #2 is how I run: Battery life is not as good, but I have the nVidia available at all times...

I thought that due to the differences in how hybrid graphics were architected, installing only the nvidia drivers would make some of them unusable.

Is that good general advice?

i want the switchable so i use optimus

startup as intel and switch to hybrid for gaming

but the only problem is hybrid mode doesn't use gtx 1050 at all use only intel graphic

@dalto It seems rich25487 understood what I was trying to say... :innocent:

@rich25487: I know that you have to prime-run the particular game, but that's where my knowledge ends.
Please read the 2 linked articles and post more specific commands you're running so someone else can help you further as I'm not running in hybrid mode... (or post what you're doing exactly and what your expectations are...

just stating:

Doesn't help someone else (=not me) help you with your prime setup as I'm not running like that because I don't want the headaches of specifically off-loading individual programs to the nVidia or rebooting, or changing modes and just run in nVidia mode all of the time...

As @Fabby said, study the links he gave you. On my optimus-manager tutorial you have details on how to use nvidia on hybrid mode. It doesn't happen automatically like in Windows, you have to add environmental variable to the launch path, so the whole launch command may look like:

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia appname

where appname is any name of the program you want to launch. For additional specifics, go to point 9 of my optimus-manager guide.

1 Like

What is all this pecking about?
OP already has PRIME installed. .
just use prime-run
prime-run glxgears
prime-run glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'
(in steam you use in game launch options not steam itself)
prime-run %command%

I've told @rich25487 already twice:

with links and everything and that states the same as you're saying:

$ prime-run glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
$ prime-run vulkaninfo

but those just run glxinfo and vulkaninfo on the nVidia, so unless Rich gives us a more specific example of which exact program he's trying to run on the nVidia, we can't be more specific neither...

:sob:

You may have mentioned it twice .. but OP did not seem to understand, and 2 other divergent solutions were being proposed at the same time.
Sometimes you just have to say 'stop .. think .. listen .. do this. No this. Yes that.'

("the application" seems to be CS:GO in steam .. nothing special .. again OP just doesnt understand)

Do you know what the executable is for that? (The most advanced game I'm running is Doom II and one of the first things I did when I installed Manjaro was delete anything Steam)

If you know, we can tell Rich to

prime-run /opt/cs-go

or whatever...

Again, this is partially my point ..

As with all steam games .. it is the same procedure .. game launch settings

Like this ( except you know .. with what I showed above.. as in prime-run %command% ):

1 Like

Didn't test primerun %command% myself, but I know for sure that this works when used on hybrid mode of optimus-manager:

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only %command%

Of optimus-manager .. but that is not the installed default.
OP came here with PRIME already running, but did not know how to initialize the nvidia card in general - but more specifically for this steam game.

The first answer should be 'use primerun .. this is how you use primerun .. this is how to use in steam launch options'

IF OP wants to use something other than normal system operation and/or the default tools or finds the default PRIME implementation lacking and decides to use optimus-manager, then by all means help them with that. But theres no reason to go down other windy roads just because the basics havent been grasped yet - in fact its all the more reason to point back to the basics.

He said many times "I use optimus" and I red it as "I use optimus-manager" :sweat_smile:, hence my response, but I suspect the command I gave will also work, because this is mentioned on Nvidia documentation pages, as far I recall, so it's not specific for optimus-manager, I can only test that it works there.

It's just an additional info for OP to test, but yeah, the OP may have got too quickly too much info.

Yes, what you did should roughly be the same thing just typed out manually .. though missing a bit
see here:
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/prime-run?h=packages/nvidia-prime

(I dont even use these silly nvidia things! :sob:)

1 Like

Hey Rich,

I've marked the best of all the answer as a solution so you don't have to read all of the nerds, dweebs, geeks more technically inclined people's raves and rants:

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control!

And if something is still not clear, just tell us in plain :uk: and we'll try to be more succinct...

:innocent:

Hmm... It still works :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . But I'm not a fan of adding command to each game. Too much fuss. I prefer to launch Steam on Nvidia. One command should rule them all ;).

I don't buy arguments that it's better performance wise. If Nvidia can be used for the whole desktop and nobody says that hybrid solution works better just because it launches on Nvidia that only game, it means, Nvidia is perfectly capable of handling the whole Steam. Simple and clean, no need to worry about setting command for each game. That is my opinion.

1 Like

I only have an opinion insofar as it is suggested by smarter people who have invested more time in it than myself. Otherwise I have no idea .. kuz again .. I dont use the things :wink:
Just repeating 'proper procedure' as I understand it.
I could, for example, see not taxing the nvidia any more than you need to - one process and associated libraries, as opposed to allotting some of that gpu power to steam and its libraries and the web store and such.

Forum kindly sponsored by