How do I know if I have video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime?

The guide at Guide: Install and configure optimus-manager for hybrid GPU setups (Intel/NVIDIA) says

If you already use video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime configuration, this guide is also for you.

How do I know if I have that? I tried searching for it with pacman -Ss video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime with no results.

I also looked in Manjaro Settings > Hardware and I don't see anything with that name there:

mhwd

The only references to it that I can find are here in the forums. But I can't find any reference to it on my system or in packages, so I'm a little confused.

How do I know if I have it? If I don't, how do I get it?

I have an HP Zbook x360 G5 with Intel+Nvidia. I see this with inxi:

[trusktr@manjattan ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GP107GLM [Quadro P2000 Mobile] driver: nvidia v: 440.64 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.7 driver: nvidia 
  resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: Quadro P2000/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.64 

I'm sorry but your Zbook owes just a nvidia card. there is no intel graphics at the Zbook.

1 Like

Haha, Oh.. wow... ok! I was mistaken!

I thought I was not seeing things right, and for some reason assumed that Intel CPUs with Nvidias were hybrid.

Well, I guess that makes things easier to manage!

@olli I saw these options in BIOS, so maybe that's why I was confused:

IMG_20200404_173922

It has a "Hybrid Graphics" option.

Which means ..
If you want to run on just the nvidia the whole time then leave it as is .. its easiest.
But if you want the power-savings of running hybrid (intel most of the time .. then PRIME when you want the nvidia) then you can turn that on and then use mhwd to select/install PRIME.

Awesome! I enabled "Hybrid Graphics", and it turns out I do have two GPUs.

After turning on Hybrid mode in BIOS, I am no longer able to boot to desktop, but I do see the following inxi output in a TTY:

IMG_20200405_211108

I suppose I need to go research the mhwd command to configure it...

mhwd --help  #probably all you need 
mhwd -l #list available drivers
mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime #install a driver

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Configure_Graphics_Cards

Thanks! As I had previously used the GUI to set up the Nvidia (while it was configured in BIOS as the only card) , I had to first delete the existing driver:

mhwd --remove video-nvidia-440xx
mhwd --install pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime

Now I was able to boot to desktop, but the Gnome graphics are clunky now (choppy, low frame rate). Hmmm... I wonder if there's a solution for the clunkyness...

You might need to tweak the intel settings a bit ..
The fact will stand that it is weaker than your nvidia.
(but it will draw less power .. and certain things might end up working better, or being 'easier' due to intel compatibility .. though the main thing here is still basically power vs performance)

Edit:
Lets double check where you are now:

inxi -G

That is totally true, but it seems like Gnome desktop graphics aren't that intense compared to.. say.. a 3D game like Half Life from 1998. I believe the simple animations (f.e. when opening the Activities view makes windows shrink and rearrange) should still be smooth.

I made a new post to continue regarding Intel performance: Intel graphics seem slower than they should be.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by