How Manjaro deal with tearing in XFCE?

I want to install Manjaro manual / terminal way. (learning purposes).
After experience with other system I know that there can be video tearing problem in XFCE (not sure about other environments).

After research, I've found that if I have xf86-intel-vide driver installed I can do this:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "intel"
  Option "DRI" "2"
  Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

But there is no 20-intel.conf in xorg.conf.d
And this driver can cause problems so it's not recommended.

Another search led me to xfwm documentation and vblank setting.
'xfwm4 --replace --vblank=xpresent &' <- temporary solution
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/vblank_mode -s xpresent <- permanent solution
Can be off , auto**glx , xpresent

In my system it is better but not as good as default Manjaro.
Can you tell me what magic is Manjaro using to remove video tearing from video?

1 Like

Change the compositor--it's easy to do. Search a few threads here and you'll find the solution. I have not ran Xfce for a long while, so I cannot tell you the exact procedure.

...there are some options to try out:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
        Driver      "intel"
       #MatchDriver "i965"               #  "i915"
        Option      "DRI" "3"            # DRI2 and DRI1, if DRI3 performs poorly
        Option      "TearFree" "true"
       #Option     "AccelMethod"  "sna"  #  "sna" default, "uxa" fallback
     EndSection

In /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory, edit (or create)
a file called 20-intel.conf

This is the new method, again you have options:

# xfce 4.14 intel :

# For testing, use the parameter "--vblank=" with each of the following options:

--vblank=xpresent

--vblank=glx

--vblank=off

# ...glx is the current default, try out with:

xfwm4 --replace --vblank=mode &

# You can make it permanent via:

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/vblank_mode -s mode

# Where mode is glx, xpresent or off.

Without specific device and a number of other things there isnt much way to know ..

For example - that DRI option could be done other ways ... but you are effectively 'downgrading' ... this should really only be a last resort, and only should be necessary on really old hardware.

The compositor thing on the other hand is a long-standing complaint about XFCE. Thats why the newer xpresent method was created - but it isnt used by default. (sad too, since amdgpu users get artifacts without it on a default xfce with compositing on).

I'm aware that I can do that but:

And that's why I've been thinking about vblank.
Can I check what mode is currently used? Is gxl mode dafault in Manjaro?

It's intel GPU integrated with Intel I5-520M

And as I said. The default Manjaro settings are better than my tested vblank settings. Maybe it's placebo because I love Manjaro :smiley:

The filename(s) is loaded/prcessed in alfanumeric order with the last config to take precedence.

If it does not exist create it. The most of my systems uses Intel and they all benefit from the early kernel mode set in the init

To get maximum for use for this add i915 to the MODULES list in mkinitcpio.conf and run

mkinitcpio -P

This should not be indiscriminately be used together with e.g. Nvida - at least from what I read - it requires further modules to function properly.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by