How to completely disable checking updates?

subj.

I prefer to do it myself in the terminal from time to time.

I tried to ‘always hide’ Octopi in the system tray, but it somehow appears again. So I see it is not a solution to just hide Octopi. There must be a way to disable checking updates at all. Please tell me.

The solution is not to hide Octopi but to remove it from Autostart apps. Depending which DE you use for your session, remove/disable Octopi updater (don't know the exact name, I use pamac) from autostarting.

I use KDE5. I do not see it in the autostart, however.

i suggest to remove the part of octopi, which checks for updates:

sudo pacman -R octopi-notifier

i am not sure, whether you can still check and install updates from within octopi afterward, but you want to do that in the terminal anyway...

Thank you, I have removed octopi-notifier-frameworks, and don’t see it anymore.

Try do the "magic" :smiley:

cat <<EOF > ~/.config/autostart/octopi-notifier.desktop [Desktop Entry] Hidden=true EOF

Quit Octopi from system tray - just close it. Logout and log in.

Thanks, but there’s nothing to hide anymore :slight_smile:

Ok, I just did not refresh thread :smiley:

Firstly if U R shure about making updates via terminal, than U R ok :slight_smile: no GUI! yey
Second if U R only going to use terminal to update than not only "sudo pacman -R" but "sudo pacman -Rns" witch removes also dependencies (i don't think U should miss any in daily usage, well i don't have xfce so my mailage may warry)

Because he only wants to disable the notifier, not the entire octopi. If he wants to uninstall the entire octopi, then yes, the command he needs to use is sudo pacman -Rs octopi, not -Rsn though. -Rsc if he wants to also remove the packages that depend on the dependencies of octopi.

REMOVE OPTIONS -c, --cascade Remove all target packages, as well as all packages that depend on one or more target packages. This operation is recursive, and must be used with care since it can remove many potentially needed packages. -k, --keep Removes the database entry only. Leaves all files in place. -n, --nosave Instructs pacman to ignore file backup designations. Normally, when a file is removed from the system the database is checked to see if the file should be renamed with a ".pacsave" extension. -s, --recursive Remove each target specified including all of their dependencies, provided that (A) they are not required by other packages; and (B) they were not explicitly installed by the user. This operation is recursive and analogous to a backwards --sync operation, and helps keep a clean system without orphans. If you want to omit condition (B), pass this option twice. -u, --unneeded Removes the targets that are not required by any other packages. This is mostly useful when removing a group without using the -c option, to avoid breaking any dependencies.

Yep, I have no problem with octopi itself, even though I do not use it (only pacman -Syyu and so on), but who knows, maybe octopi would be useful one day, there’s no reason to remove it; just the notifier was annoying in my situation.

You're right, I missread his ask :slight_smile: My apology for unneeded chaos :slight_smile:
But it's good that he received a full spectrum of answer :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by