How to fix Firefox video screen tearing?

I've tried going to about:config and setting layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true but it had no effect.

I was able to fix it by doing prime-run firefox, but I feel there should be a better way.

Using Manjaro Gnome, kernel 5.6, Optimus laptop (intel/nvidia).

Thank you.

Since you talk about a hybrid GPU laptop, and by running prime-run firefox the tearing is solved in the browser, then that is the way to go. Either create a custom desktop file to launch firefox using the mentioned command, or you take a look at this

for more options that are possible for such setup.

Does Optimus Manager provide any additional benefits to just using video-hybrid-nvidia-440xx-prime if my usual approach is to choose to manually do prime-run for some (very few) specific apps and games and otherwise just forget about it?

In principle, the prime-render-offload, as is with those drivers, would suffice for most user cases AFAIK. Some want even more control over how the GPUs are used, hence they get either into optimus-manager or optimus-switch. Apparently, that way, in some cases as gaming, the performance can make quite a difference.

So you're saying I should expect a significat performance gain for gaming if I use Optimus to switch to NVIDIA, as opposed to using HYBRID and just doing prime-run?

Did I understand corectly?

It might be the case, yes. You understood perfectly, but it also depends on your laptop model and the dGPU aka dedicated nvidia GPU.

What then, do you think about @DarkWav's opinion here?

FWIW, I'm using a GTX 1050 (nonTI) 4GB, coupled with intel i5 7300HQ, and 16GB RAM

Well, there is a difference between PRIME and PRIME-OFFLOAD. First one uses directly the dGPU while the offload option will use the dGPU to render something that is shown on the iGPU sink. In that case more power is used, but works dynamically and yet doesn't give the same performance result as when dGPU is accessed directly. Form what i understand, with optimus-manager you can have both, giving you even more options simultaneously.

In my understanding, game performance rather won't be better, but the difference is in energy consumption. The default hybrid mode can't power off nvidia completely so it still uses more energy no matter if you use Nvidia or not. So optimus-manager adds you power to switch between modes: Intel, Hybrid or Nvidia.

It all depends on the age of your laptop and age of your GPU. Newest machines will be able to power off Nvidia in hybrid mode, but the most hybrid hardware setups that people have won't have that ability. Hybrid setup can save you 10-30% energy, but Intel session can save you 50% so you may have double usage time on Intel. Again, this varies strongly from computer to computer.

I didn't notice any performance difference between Hybrid and Nvidia mode myself. There may be some small differences but for the most time they are negligible.

1 Like

Ah I see.

In that case, considering my use-case scenarios, and if I understand correctly I simply don't need Optimus Manager.

I've had this laptop for a little over two years now and I don't think it has run on battery power more than 5 hours in total, and even that was by mistake, when I had forgotten to plug it in. Furthermore, the occasions where I would want to run it fully in an Intel session are very rare, if not inexistant.

Thus, I think Hybrid mode is perfect for me.

1 Like

You could simply add this to a launcher command, so you wouldn't have to think about anymore. This can be done by changing exec command on .desktop file or directly from menu on Plasma (right-click, edit). If you are not running Plasma, there are some apps that have nice GUI and are able to edit menu entries. Since I don't use them, I don't remember the name of such apps, but the best one had probably 'libre' in name or something similar (but it makes it harder to find, because other, more popular are shown first).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by