How to get notifications about new emails?

I thought to use email-client (Thunderbird) to know about new emails as soon as possible and to not forget to check, but it turned out that I should open Thunderbird window and only then I'll see if there's something new - almost pointless to me. Are there way to get notifications (so that application would automatically check for emails) to the desktop? May be another client?

1 Like

Such utilities exist. I have come across them from time to time but I do not remember an exact name.

• checkmails package (supports using Qt toolkit)
pamac build checkmails

https://sourceforge.net/projects/checkmails/files/

1 Like

Thunderbird is in fact only a wrapper around Firefox, and both applications are written using the GTK widget toolkit, which is notorious for not working together well with KDE and qt stuff.

I personally use KMail as my email client ─ it's part of the kdepim suite ─ and it does provide for a system tray icon that shows you when a new email arrives, as well as Plasma notifications.

Not everyone likes KMail, though, because it uses Akonadi at the backend, and Akonadi itself sits atop an SQL database. The reason for this organization is that Akonadi can be used as a search engine inside your emails and calendar.

1 Like

I'm not sure but you could test with thunderbird-firetray package from aur you don't have anything to lose i don't know if it still works !

Thanks, but as I see on your example search-fu sometime worse than answer for instance of Aragorn.

1 Like

Oh, I think I have if we talking about aur (as known messing with it may be risky).

1 Like

What bad they see about Akonadi?

1 Like

That may be but you were explicitly saying you didn't want to open Thunderbird so you need other means of periodically checking your account.

That implies using some sort of scripting and/or an agent to run in the background.

I have no experience with KDE but I didn't read your question as KDE specific but a more overall approach to having notifications of new mail.

2 Likes

Well, Akonadi is great if and when it works, but there have been some nasty bugs in the past that caused people to lose all of their emails. I've been bitten by that myself, as you can read here.

The OP included a kde tag. :wink:

2 Likes

I have installed and was pretty easy you just need to install unzip first.
Its very useful thanks to you i discovered it again !
works very good and has settings too !

Plus high cpu%, + severe lagginess [not always, but enough to put me off, in conjunction with lost emails (+Events & Tasks)].

2 Likes

I have installed firetray very good app ! I'm suggesting it for sure !

I noted that - still I was looking at the somewhat generic nature of a background service checking without actually running any true mail application.

2 Likes

I've had that happening to me too, but that was back when I was still using my refurbished computer ─ which was dying ─ and it was also partly related to a bug in the qt framework.

Those bugs are now long gone, though, and I haven't had any lag whatsoever anymore since I bought this new computer and installed Manjaro. :wink:

The downside of firetray is that it keeps Thunderbird running in the background consuming RAM. There are also applets which are independent of any mail client and only do check if new mails are there or not. For example kdeplasma-applets-gx-mail-notify which is available from the AUR. Didn't try it myself though.

1 Like

If there way to make a request for such package in Manjaro repos then we should do it.

1 Like

For example kdeplasma-applets-gx-mail-notify which is available from the AUR. Didn't try it myself though.

...or abut such thing.

Yes, there is a #manjaro-development:package-request category. :wink:

1 Like

Yes you will get from 200-500 mbytes if you don't have enough ram don't try it.

Do you leave Thunderbird minimised? If so, you can use Birdtray.

If not, you can use a different background mail notifier as @linux-aarhus suggested. mailnag is in the repos and works well.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by