How to go back to Intel driver after switching to NVIDIA? (Problems with NVIDIA Settings and side display)

TL;DR: need help going back to Intel driver OR fixing what I assume is a weird NVIDIA settings bug

Hi, a few days ago, I followed the steps here to switch to using NVIDIA graphics only.

Graphics feel a lot better now, but sadly switching to NVIDIA broke my dual monitor setup. I have a HiDPI scren on my laptop and an external monitor with about half the max resolution of the laptop. Since Gnome Settings "Displays" section is only able to apply a single scaling factor to all displays, I was using the following command to have different scalings for each monitor, along with 200% scale in Gnome Settings:

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --auto --scale 2x2 --output eDP-1 --pos 5120x0 --scale 0.9999x0.9999

After switching to NVIDIA, running that results in the external monitor being 3/4 black, behaving all glitchy and unusable. I think I am experiencing what other users describe as a black screen with cursor, but slightly different due to the params passed to xrandr. I was not able to tweak the command to make it work after playing around with it for a while.

I suspect my problem is described in this section of the Arch Wiki:

Note: Above solution with --scale 2x2 does not work on some Nvidia cards. No solution is currently available. [9] A potential workaround exists with configuring ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On on the CurrentMetaMode via nvidia-settings . For more info see [10].

However, I am unable to set the ForceFullCompositionPipeline option either via the terminal or the NVIDIA Settings UI. (Clicking Advanced...in NVIDIA settings UI does not show any new options for me, but I've seen screenshots of a checkbox with for enabling that option when in advanced mode. So I guess there is a problem with my system that prevents this from working, however I do not understand enough about it to think of a solution. System is up to date so I guess it is either a bug or an issue with my configuration or computer).

This finally brings me to my question:

I tried going back to Intel Graphics by commenting out the lines

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0 
xrandr --auto

That I added in ~/.xinitrc when I followed the instructions to use NVIDIA, but that didn't work, NVIDIA is still in use. So now I am stuck with having to use a much lower resolution on the HiDPI display if I want to use two monitors. Before I go on and mess something up with trial and error, I figured I'd ask for help to avoid breaking something. Can I revert back to Intel by simply deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf ?

I don't have very high hopes about being able to fix the dual monitor setup with NVIDIA, as I don't have much knowledge about it, but if someone has pointers to help me enable ForceFullCompositonPipeline or otherwise run two monitors with different scalings with NVIDIA driver, I will be very very thankful.

I appreciate your help a lot! Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.

Undo the changes you have made.

Then use Manjaro Settings Manager (MSM) to auto install the free drivers.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by