How to improve battery life?

Most likely tlp is not enabled. Try sudo systemctl status tlp if it is not loaded and active type sudo systemctl enable tlp then sudo systemctl start tlp.

The battery life settings, it could be that the OS just respect some of those settings.

Run below command to see if your nvidia card is currently ON or OFF.

cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch
cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch
cat: /proc/acpi/bbswitch: No such file or directory

petsam is probably right. You don't have bumblebee config. Instead, you probably have nvidia prime config and you always use nvidia which is battery consuming. I'm just guessing.

Have you changed default video configuration? Bumblebee config comes as default. You probably changed this. If you changed to prime config, you need to change to intel gpu for long battery. Or you can always go back to default bumblebee config.

I think I am currently running intel drivers.

glxinfo | grep -i vendor
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center (0x8086)
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center

bumblebee didn't work for me (couldn't switch to nvidia at all). So, I had to use prime setup.

Can you run below command to make sure if your Nvidia card is active or not:

nvidia-smi -L

I get below results. The first result I don't use my nvidia card. In the second result I used my nvidia card with primusrun in another terminal.

[erens@eren-pc ~]$ nvidia-smi -L
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

[erens@eren-pc ~]$ nvidia-smi -L
GPU 0: GeForce GTX 660M (UUID: GPU-6e92050c-ac78-d171-7fd2-c702d375c512)
[erens@eren-pc ~]$

1 Like

When I was trying Ubuntu before Manjaro, my laptop was heating too much. After some investigation, I realized that both of my GPUs were active. I used bbswitch to switch off nvidia card.

I see. I think there are some problems in the setup.

nvidia-smi -L
GPU 0: GeForce 940MX (UUID: GPU-c6d8e126-8b39-dfe9-9b69-b2275d93e50a)

What is the setup that I should use then? One that'd use intel by default but will let me switch to nvidia when needed?

Edit : The setup I currently use is descibed here.

It is possible that the time reduction was simply because of the battery usage, especially if it was exposed to the heat. You can check out the state of your battery in Plasma. Just go to the dashboard menu and type info and you should fine Information Center about the Computer and info about the power:

Screenshot-2019-07-01-06-48-17

You can see there information about:

capacity of the new battery
last capacity (current one)
capacity in percent
My screen shows quite good state of my battery but that is because my last (original one) was completely dead and I replaced it recently.
If the battery is used up, you can't do anything.

It's good to compare the same battery usage on Windows and Linux. For me it was always the same.

1 Like

Here's what I got:
Screenshot_20190701_114343

I use bumblebee personally. But you can use whatever you like, bumblebee or prime. Bumblebee wasn't working out-of-the-box for me but the solution was avaiable in the Arch wiki. (My issue and solution was this.) You can search for the error message you get when running primusrun in Arch wiki and you'll probably solve it. There are also guides and wikis for prime solution.

1 Like

you can set cpu governor to powersave.

so it will use less power.

Should I need that even if tlp is enabled?

May be you don't need if tlp is there.
But I don't use tlp.

More here

1 Like

There are two possible solutions on Manjaro:
optimus-switch or
optimus-manager

I use the latter and it boots system with intel by default (could be easily changed) but I can switch to nvidia any time by choosing it from the tray menu, then my session is reloaded, I need to give password and I'm in nvidia session.

Some prefer optimus-switch because it's bit easier and less problematic to set but requires system reboot to switch GPUs, while optimus-manager needs session reload.

Looks OK to me. The battery is in relatively good condition. It's less than half of mine but I guess it's OK for your computer. Mine is a heavy (over 4kg), thick and big 17 inch gaming laptop which eats power like a dragon so I need that huge battery for 4 hours of battery life (when browsing the net).

I guess the other threads that were already mentioned here should be ones to look for.

1 Like

I apologize if I missed it but I haven't seen anyone suggest installing the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee package. If you go to Manjaro Settings Manager and then Hardware Configuration it should show up there and let you install it. It works perfectly on my hybrid laptop.

Didn't work for me. That's why I switched.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by