How to install Arch on btrfs with systemd boot

Did you add "btrfs" to the hooks section in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf ?
Here's mine:

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block encrypt btrfs filesystems keyboard fsck)

But next time remember to post in the correct category #other-os :slight_smile:
Or you can try to install Manjaro the CLI way. Then you can post in the Manjaro parts of the forum.
Regards

I think you need the btrf in the MODULES array of mkinitcpio.conf - maybe also in HOOKS but I don't think that is necessary.

Did you compress the file system? I don't know if systemd-boot supports booting from a compressed btrfs file system.

Yes, I have done that.

I haven't added it in the modules. Let me try that.

Is adding compress=lzo in the mounting the problem?

Compression works just fine for me...

@Alpha , this is the guide I followed when installing my system: https://austinmorlan.com/posts/arch_linux_install/

I have a learned a lot by dissecting relevant parts of manjaro-architect.

I would try making an install using btrfs - then dissect the resulting - hopefully working root partition and note how the selected bootloader is configured.

I just used your provider guidelines to install again. Same result.

Is there any way I can boot into the fall back kernel from systemd-boot?

do you have btrfs-progs installed?

Yes, I have installed it with base.

Would your way to install work if you choose a different filesystem? Can you try it?
Because I believe it is a user error during installation.

Alternatively you can installl Grub and see if that would boot your system from btrfs.

I have reinstalled the whole system using the guidelines provided by @TomZ. I wanted btrfs because of its root restore feature.
i will go back to ext4 if at the end I can't fix this.

I would recommend to try Grub, I don't see any need for systemd-boot.

1 Like

i also recommend grub
with addition of
grub-btrfs
timeshift-autosnap

I see no other options. Thanks everyone for the help.

I have just tested the mentioned guide - it works - no problem.

I have rewritten parts of it to fit Manjaro - and it works too.

1 Like

I will definitely try that. Thanks a lot for your trouble. There is not many resources online regarding btrfs and systemd-boot. It will help a lot of people.

1 Like

In part, that is because systemd-boot doesn't really need much special config for btrfs. The only difference between systemd-boot with btrfs or systemd-boot with ext4 is you can specify the subvol to boot off of in the options line of the entry.

For example, on one of my btrfs VMs it looks like this:

options root=UUID=99ddc98d-fec7-4184-9544-7aa6144eb369 rw rootflags=subvol=/@ 
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by