HowTo: Build your own Manjaro Spin

https://youtu.be/B--je--m0VI

With this video I show you in rich detail on how to create your own Manjaro spin.

45 Likes

'LLo philm,

Very nice & educational HowTo, especially about the use of extra & basic tags (for those who ask for minimal/basic isos from time to time) & also for the very useful -c buildiso option well detailed for cosmetic changes when desired packages list is Ok .
Imho & explained as in video, this is as easy to use (probably not much longer & especially reusable on different machines once done !) as the M-A install way to achieve the same result !
Once again, well done (chief) !

Ps: Nothing about pure 64 bits ..? :wink:

@philm You forgot m-t-git wich include initialize function.. I can drop this feature :sweat:

Just did this and it preserved nearly all of my settings and s/c wonderful!

1 Like

@Ste74: I don't had time lately to test the git version. Which branch was used for it and can you point me to the changes made?

good introduction, it's well worth a watch even as someone who's already built ISO images

if all the videos are going to be of this calibre I'll definitely start sign-posting people to your YouTube channel

@philm
Cloned the iso-profile folder & started to have a look around while it I was watching the video.

On the video in xfce/live-overlay/root/ there is a .config folder.
In the one I cloned (downloaded) the root folder is empty.

Did I mess up or is that folder missing files?

Great job btw. :wink:

[edit]
IGNORE all that, well, except the last line, I unhid the folder. It was there taunting me all this time.:japanese_ogre:

OK. This is doing my head in. I've installed manjaro-tools-iso & manjaro-tools-pkg.

Going into my home folder I cannot see the folder Manjaro-Tools anywhere. I rebooted just in case. I even searched the entire drive. It ain't there. This is from the terminal:

pamac list -g manjaro-tools
manjaro-tools-base [Installed]
manjaro-tools-iso [Installed]
manjaro-tools-pkg [Installed]
manjaro-tools-yaml [Installed] 
manjaro-iso-profiles-community 
manjaro-iso-profiles-official 
sonar-iso-profiles 

I'm up to the 8 1/2 minute mark in the video & am completely lost.

I miss the copy and paste area in this post. :wink:

git clone https://gitlab.manjaro.org/profiles-and-settings/iso-profiles.git
pamac list -g manjaro-tool
pamac install manjaro-tools-iso
~/.config/manjaro-tools

/var/lib/manjaro-tools
/var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/xfce/iso

--> Time make_sfs: 13.37 minutes
==> Making bootable image
==> Creating ISO image...
xorriso 1.5.0 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.

Drive current: -outdev 'stdio:/var/cache/manjaro-tools/iso/manjaro/xfce/18.0.0/manjaro-xfce-18.0.0-stable-minimal-x86_64.iso'
Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
Media status : is blank
Media summary: 0 sessions, 0 data blocks, 0 data, 21.7g free
Added to ISO image: directory '/'='/var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/xfce/iso'
xorriso : UPDATE :     784 files added in 1 seconds
xorriso : UPDATE :     784 files added in 1 seconds
xorriso : NOTE : Copying to System Area: 512 bytes from file '/var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/xfce/iso/boot/grub/i386-pc/boot_hybrid.img'
libisofs: NOTE : Automatically adjusted MBR geometry to 1017/94/32
xorriso : UPDATE :  7.98% done
xorriso : UPDATE :  72.63% done
ISO image produced: 766499 sectors
Written to medium : 766499 sectors at LBA 0
Writing to 'stdio:/var/cache/manjaro-tools/iso/manjaro/xfce/18.0.0/manjaro-xfce-18.0.0-stable-minimal-x86_64.iso' completed successfully.

==> Done [Build ISO]
 --> Time compress_images: 6.28 minutes
==> Finished building [xfce]
 --> Time make_profile: 13.40 minutes

Thank you @philm :slight_smile:

Is based on our stable branch 0.15.x

Updated with upstream..
Mate ISO 18.0.1-pre1 is build with it..

It also remove support for buildtree manjaro stuff and not opened a new MR so it start with the sonar deletion

This is really dope.
But what if I wanted an "already installed ready to go" image?
This would be pretty important whenever I'll find the time for the PS4 build.

I guess buildiso -x would still, say, separate mhwd from rootfs?

What is the limit of iso size can I make an iso of size more than 5gb??

'LLo,

If I understand what you're asking for (PS4 ?), it's doable.
You must make the list of packages (Packages-Desktop) in manjaro-tools for your DE match the existing installation if you have modified lot of things (mousepad instead of leafpad, chromium instead of FF & so on for all the stuff, in example).
Once done, you copy the following three hidden folders (!) from your /home to yourDE/desktop-overlay/etc/skel (all this, sub-folders included should be root's property):
.config .local & the DE specific folder which can also be already in .config (as xfce4 in example & by memory...)
& that'sall, you can run buildiso!
tested obviously with E, but with xfce & kde too, it's a little more complicated with the latter because kde's /home is the most complex ever...)

And that would make a single one squashfs image that I could throw into an usb key and use "permanently"?
Seems so strange for it to involve DE, considering one of the stuff to merge would be the omnipresent mhwd...

EDIT: N.B. normal tools "persistence" is a hack

'LLo,

O_ops, i began with quote above & so, i certainly misunderstood what you were asking for (english's not my native blahblah...) & sorry for the late answer too !
I was trying above to show how to build an iso based on a very modified installation (packages & config) compared to the official one.

Lol, your english is better than mine and I'm a native speaker!

I had simillar issue with that.
But according to wiki (https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Build_Manjaro_ISOs_with_buildiso):
By default, the systemwide config file is installed in

/etc/manjaro-tools/manjaro-tools.conf

But you can always copy it to "~/.config/manjaro-tools/" when it will override the default.

'LLo,

You have to git clone https://blabla like described in the video* for having it directly in your home.
It sounds you just installed M-T from pacman/pamac, so it should be in /usr/share/manjaro-tools -> strange that you don't find it...

*: & run buildiso at least one time
Ps: sorry for late answer, i didn't see your post in time !

Well, normally it is located in ~/.config/manjaro-tools/ which is a hidden folder. Also you may clone the current profiles to any folder you like to work with. Most likely I recommend:

mkdir -p ~/development
cd ~/development
git clone https://gitlab.manjaro.org/profiles-and-settings/iso-profiles.git
buildiso -qv

Last command will create the folder ~/.config/manjaro-tools/ in which you may edit the configuration as needed.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by