[HowTo] Dual-boot Manjaro - Windows 10 - Step by Step

What if you select the left disk? :rofl:
Maybe you better set to "correct disk" instead?
I would have corrected myself, but I am too cautious on editing others' wikis nowadays.. :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for your editorial suggestions.

I am Danish and English is my second language.

Though it has been in use since 4. grade (my 11. year) and now, at my 59. year, it is not getting near perfect.

So thank you for your contribution. :smile:

5 Likes

Is it on purpose that it is suggested to create a second/seperate ESP for manjaro ?

Yes it is.

I do a lot of support in our local community - mostly Ubuntu - and I have noted that a lot of issues strive from the fact that Windows thinks their $esp is theirs.

I have explained why beforehand

The cost of the extra $esp is minimal compared to the benefits.

The benefit is - you don't mess with your Windows partition. Manjaro creates a pointer to the Windows Bootloader and under no circumstances are your Windows boot entry nor your Manjaro boot entry going to dissappear in an update.

You can of course use the existing bootloader - but you are asking for all kind of troubles.

2 Likes

Mk - I was guessing it might have something to do with windoze shredding the bootloader or something, but wasnt sure.

OP has edited in first post to include my link in section [Oh No - It boots directly to Windows]
Appreciate the inclusion. However, instead of booting up after installation to find it boots only to windows, we can, after Manjaro installation, and still at livecd OS find out if there could be any problem.

The following is done at livecd terminal, after installation is completed and applies only to UEFI installation.

efibootmgr

Is there an entry for manjaro and at top of the bootorder? [1]
If none, continue with the following commands.
Lets say the root partition (no separate boot to keep it simple here) is sda5 and the $esp is sda2

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi
sudo cp /mnt/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi /mnt/boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 2 -L "manjaro" -l "\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi"

Verify again with "efibootmgr" that 'manjaro' is now listed and at top of bootorder.

Good luck.

[1] - It is still possible to have the manjaro entry listed and still boot to Windows. In that case, see the link and it is possible that the computer make and model has some difficult setup. See the [Some diificult UEFI setup] in the link to fix it.

4 Likes

Thank you!

I have modified the post to include ^^^^ - it is valuable information and I really appreciate your knowledge in this specific area.

Once again my thanks to you!

2 Likes

I guess this was a typo?
Should be

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi

?

1 Like

Yes. Thanks. Corrected above.
Cheers.

Frede, your English skills, including grammar, have greatly improved over the past couple years. It speaks highly of your motivation. If only more of us had your enthusiasm! :+1:

3 Likes

I would also like to suggest PLOP for computers that do not support live USB booting. I have tested it out on Windows XP/7 and it works just fine. Just run the BAT file and it will do its thing.

22 posts were split to a new topic: Dual boot tutorial - a question

This guide is very good, the idea of separate EFI is a nice solution for preventing possible bootloaders' wars. However, some things should be taken into account:

1. The second ESP partition may become visible in Windows, and this is obviously not a good thing, so one might need to hide it with unassigning the drive letter in Windows' Disks utility.
  2. This is something really important. In case of user's decision to make a reinstall of Windows such user should not delete its ESP. Otherwise Windows fill find Manjaro's one during the installation and make use of it.
1 Like

Stupid question: I am installing Manjaro on a new laptop with Win10 installed on it. Wanted to keep the Win10 install since the SSD is large enough. Following the guide I realize that the current installer does not automatically create extended partitions. So if I follow the guide as it is, I end up with 5 partitions (Windows EFI, Windows NTFS, Manjaro EFI, Manjaro EXT4 root, Manjaro Swap) which is more primary partitions than possible. Is it me doing something wrong or the guide is slightly imprecise here? Didn't use Windows for over 10 years and therefore always used the Legacy mode in UEFI machines, so I'm kind of a newbie here. :slight_smile:

That is a limitation of MBR partition schema.

But on a new Win10 laptop this should not pose a problem as Windows 10 uses GPT partitioning.

If you are using Legacy boot or CSM as it is also called the partition schema will be MBR as this (probably - no knowledge) will be what the Windows installer will choose.

Booting the system without CSM - pure UEFI - should make the Windows installer choose GPT.

Well, the installer reports it to be a problem. It is a Thinkpad X250, so it is 4 years old (it's just new for me since I bought it recently :smiley:). Any idea how I should adapt the guide to work with the MBR partition table? Thanks!

Never tried - but as MBR has a limitation of four on primary partitions you need to keep the partition count below four.

You should not need to create an EFI partition.

Using a swapfile instead of a swap partition will further decrease the needed partitions.

But there is an EFI partition already there. The laptop came with Win10 preinstalled and had a large NTFS partition and a small EFI partition already. So it looks like everything is done the UEFI way, only the partition table being MBR rather than GPT... Then Manjaro should also get an EFI partition, right?

I have no definite answer to that.

My reasoning behind recommending a separate EFI partition for Manjaro is to avoid Windows overwriting Manjaro related files on the EFI partition.

You will probably get along by letting the installer use the existing EFI partition.

If the system is using EFI then your partition schema most probably is GPT which will let you make as many as 128 primary partitions on a disk.

I also thought so, but GParted clearly reports "msdos" which confuses me as well.

Well, since the Windows install most likely won't be used anyway but will only stay there "just in case", I think, it is safe to have a common EFI partition since Windows won't get a chance to mess it up. :slight_smile:

edit: So now I get this:

%D0%A1%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%BA%20%D1%8D%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B0_2019-03-09_14-58-52

The installer seems to be quite picky here. :slight_smile:

edit2: Looks like UEFI/MBR dualboot is a PITA: https://superuser.com/questions/1092675/arch-linux-uefi-dual-boot-on-bios-mbrmsdos-windows-10

Forum kindly sponsored by