[HowTo] Dual-boot Manjaro - Windows 10 - Step by Step

But there is an EFI partition already there. The laptop came with Win10 preinstalled and had a large NTFS partition and a small EFI partition already. So it looks like everything is done the UEFI way, only the partition table being MBR rather than GPT... Then Manjaro should also get an EFI partition, right?

I have no definite answer to that.

My reasoning behind recommending a separate EFI partition for Manjaro is to avoid Windows overwriting Manjaro related files on the EFI partition.

You will probably get along by letting the installer use the existing EFI partition.

If the system is using EFI then your partition schema most probably is GPT which will let you make as many as 128 primary partitions on a disk.

I also thought so, but GParted clearly reports "msdos" which confuses me as well.

Well, since the Windows install most likely won't be used anyway but will only stay there "just in case", I think, it is safe to have a common EFI partition since Windows won't get a chance to mess it up. :slight_smile:

edit: So now I get this:

%D0%A1%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%BA%20%D1%8D%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B0_2019-03-09_14-58-52

The installer seems to be quite picky here. :slight_smile:

edit2: Looks like UEFI/MBR dualboot is a PITA: https://superuser.com/questions/1092675/arch-linux-uefi-dual-boot-on-bios-mbrmsdos-windows-10

This is the guess-work section now.

What if - Windows uses a folder named /boot/efi on both efi and legacy systems?

It would minimize their structure and confuse others.

You should be sure the partition in question is flagged with esp and boot and the filesystem on the partition is FAT (either 16 or 32 will do).

If the existing filesystem on the efi partition is ntfs - I think it indicates a legacy boot.

It was flagged boot but not esp. I did flag it esp myself because the installer told me it wouldn't work otherwise.

Right, wasn't careful enough here. It is indeed NTFS! So I should reenable legacy boot in the BIOS and do the install the "classic" way without any EFI partitions for Manjaro?

I suppose your confusion was based on a wrong assumption.

How do you know the noticed partition is $esp?
UEFI is done only on GPT AFAIK, or I should RTFM again (my memory have a lot of leaks..)

Right, since the EFI partition is formatted as NTFS, you guys seem to be right, it's a legacy setup. So I should reenable legacy boot in the BIOS and do the install the “classic” way without any EFI partitions for Manjaro?

1 Like

Take the step and zap it

If you want to use the current windows install, you need to reenable legacy boot. At the moment Windows would not start, because it needs the legacy mode.

If you want to use Windows and Uefi, you need to reinstall Windows.

So it's not $esp, it's something "else". You should have checked frpm inside windows for the boot mode.
And this RTFMing brought me Windows info

Do only GPT Disks have ESPs?

No, MBR disks can also have ESPs. UEFI specifies booting from either GPT or MBR. The ESP on an MBR disk is identified by partition type 0xEF. However, Windows does not support booting UEFI from MBR disks or 0xEF partitions.

Worked out this way, so I evaded dealing with UEFI one more time. :smiley: Thanks for your input, guys!

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can I install Manjaro on a dedicated nvme drive

Can I made a suggestion for the guide?
Run Disk Cleanup as Admin, this will find additional files to clean that otherwise are not searched when ran as a regular user. Such as; Windows Update Install Files.

You can do that but it's not necessary - as the method described - has the exact same result - a least on my installation.

Maybe you forgot step 4 - Cleanup Systemfiles

Forum kindly sponsored by