Hp envy iio sensor not detected

Hello,
I just bought an Hp envy x360 13" version laptop and unfortunately the screen will not rotate when the the laptop is turned.
I'm on the manjaro gnome on the 4.19 stable kernel.
I installed iio-sensor-proxy and it doesn't detect anything :frowning:

There's an issue opened at the github of the iio-sensor author:
I put his response:

lis3lv02d_joystick_enable() in drivers/misc/lis3lv02d/lis3lv02d.c will export the accelerometer data through an input device, which iio-sensor-proxy supports ( src/drv-input-accel.c ).

You'll want to check whether the kernel is correctly configured to export that input device, and whether you have a recent version of iio-sensor-proxy.

See also !173.

I'm a newbie I don't know how to check if the kernel is correctly configure.

thank you in advance

That is fine, keep it and try another kernel too: 5.1 and/or 5.2

Since his suggestion is "above my skill level" as you mentioned, the only reliable way would be to try another kernel, as suggested above, or wait till the kernel will receive that patch ...

1 Like

As far as I can see, I read about this last night until I had a brain bleed, linux419 supports it. It was included in arch upstream June 9th 2017. There is always the possibility I'm misreading these commits. Keep that in mind. :wink:

https://git.archlinux.org/linux.git/commit/?h=v5.2-arch2&id=2b96d66c205b23b55324118ff31905d7152cb1cc

Now, if you ask me what anything on that page means other than it was added?
SinisterBrain = clueless.

as I said, I read about this a lot last night and I'm still not sure how the heck to help.
I'm going to check out the other kernels @bogdancovaciu suggested after my coffee is ready and see what they might say regarding support. However, it's unlikely it isn't included if it was commited to linux419.
And it looks like it has continued to be added all the way up to linux52

Thanks both of you for the support. I have tested on 5.1 and there was no change not yet on 5.2.

@ [SinisterBrain]
Maybe it will be clear if you read the all conversation on github about the issue:

On th url of your link it is written 5.2 so does the modification is not yet on 4.19 ?

I noticed actually a few minutes ago it was the 5.2 commit. However it looks like (to my untrained eyes) this is simply being pulled in for the build. If you look at the date it says 2017-07-09. That's when it was initially included/merged or whatever the correct programmer lingo is. :wink:

I'll give that a read. Thanks for the link. Hopefully I won't have another mind melt today reading that. :rofl:

I try with the kernel 5.2 and I see no changes :frowning:

Is the module loaded?
lsmod | grep lis3

This is the result:

lis3lv02d 1 hp_accel
input_polldev 1 lis3lv02d

I don't really understand if this result mean that it should be working or not ?

Here a comment from the github link:

linusw commented on 13 Jun

This seems to be using the old lis3lv02d sensor driver from drivers/misc/lis3lv02d/

I don't think that is a good idea. It uses a custom chardev and not the IIO subsystem, is not very well maintained and there is a modern driver for it. In my opinon the kernel need to be reconfigured not to build this module and use drivers/iio/accel/st_accel_i2c.c instead.

Possibly the IIO driver needs to be patched to properly detect the lis3lv02d on x86/ACPI as well.

Is it possible that the kernel use a version of lis3lv02d sensor module that is not correctly configured ? How can I check it ?

thanks

Hello community,

a year has passed, the current kernel at Arch Linux is 5.7 and ...

Has anything happened in terms of automatic rotation when rotating the display?
I'm still looking for a solution for my HP ENVY x360 Convertible 13-ar0xxx

Can you help?

best regards

theMario

Forum kindly sponsored by