i can't understand how to make a hhd my game drive (steam)

Not really. But you can create a link to data in your home folder if you want that.

ln -s /data /home/carmilla/

That is a bad place - run is a dynamic folder - nothing survives a reboot

1 Like

My my, you're quick! :rofl:

1 Like

im confused does that mean all be did was for nothing?
the file path changed its only /data/ think we did it

No, it puts a link inside your home folder to /data, so that you can immediately jump to /data by clicking it inside your home folder in Dolphin. :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

few does that mean i can go ahead and put my steam games on it?

I don't do Steam, but I suppose so. You can drag and drop anything onto that data folder inside your home folder, and because it's only a link, that will automatically put it in the /data folder, i.e. on your other drive.

1 Like

dang, at least i got it to where it can be used right? im still confused.
going buy

guessing that means i got a way to go

It is exactly as you wanted it. Think of that data folder in your home folder as a shortcut, like in Windows. Anything you put in there will actually be stored on the other drive.

If you issue the following command in a Konsole... :arrow_lower_left:

ls -l /home/carmilla/data

... it should output something like...

lrwxrwxrwx carmilla  carmilla /home/carmilla/data -> /data 

If it is how you want it - keep it. The linked guides explains the reasoning behind the seemingly confusing terminal commands :slight_smile: Have fun with your gaming.

2 Likes

correct me if i missunderstand it just puts whatever's dl'd there and puts in to my ssd? because i was trying to make my hhd the area where it saved games.

No, anything you put in the data folder will be on your HDD. Your home folder itself lives on the SSD, but the data folder points at the HDD.

1 Like

i want to save my games to my hhd because it has more storage sorry if that comes of wrong it is not meant to. im just super confused on what i just did if it wasn't that. i really do appreciate the help ether way i love using linux but i still am unaware of a lot things

Edit
oh thank mercy i thought i messed up on something last time i did i made everything need root permissions and had to do a clean install

Excerpt of listing of my home folder

➜  ~ ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 fh fh         5 17 maj 11:19  Data -> /data
lrwxrwxrwx 1 fh fh        29 17 maj 11:19  Documents -> /data/private/.home/Documents
lrwxrwxrwx 1 fh fh        29 17 maj 11:19  Downloads -> /data/private/.home/Downloads
lrwxrwxrwx 1 fh fh        25 17 maj 11:19  Music -> /data/private/.home/Music
lrwxrwxrwx 1 fh fh        28 17 maj 11:19  Pictures -> /data/private/.home/Pictures

When ever you drop something into the data 'folder' in your home - you are actually saving it to the partition mounted at the /data mountpoint.

This is designated in a folder listing by the arrow ->

2 Likes

i still don't get it but i take it as a yes?

Yes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

alright thanks mates (agagorn , linux-aarhus and kresimir) i really appreciate it. also what post should be marked a the solution to help other users?

1 Like

The one that you found most informative. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

its been a pleasure :smiley: :wave:t6:
wait before i celebrate let me check it

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by