I don't understand any of this

i dont want to thread spam but every time i post for help i keep getting answers i don't understand at all and the people who help just go away. i try to say whats wrong but i don't how to say it in linux terms. i asked if theres away to drag and drop files and i was told no its not a desktop but i don't know wtf that even is

1 Like

This makes it ideal for people who want to learn how Linux works and how it is different to other operating systems. From this perspective, it is also suitable for beginners similar to the way an Arduino is an excellent entry-point to embedded hardware development.
https://manjaro.org

Manjaro is not a consumer-oriented operating system.
https://manjaro.org

You need to actively work to understand Linux.

While members of the forum is very helpful - none of us have the time to teach you.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I understand. I’m new to Linux also, but I have 10 years of experience supporting Windows in The Information Technology field.

Reading through your previous posts it’s clear your not very computer savvy (don’t take this as an insult, just an observation).

The long time posters and mods here are use to people who have a littler more computer knowledge then what you have.

I would suggest taking screenshots of where and what your stuck at and posting those on your previous post.

3 Likes

how does that help? i quite honestly have nc

1 Like

i used to code in python and am certified in I.T basics but am braindead when it comes to linux. i want to learn and not trying to come off as a dick but i don't understanding any of the lingo that comes from working with linux so when i ask for help it feels like i get a answer in Japanese i cant understand it

1 Like

Do you know how to copy and paste in Windows using the File Manager? If so, do the same with KDE. Open the File Manager called Dolphin using the green folder icon. You will be in your home directory which contains sub-folders like you had on Windows. Copy and paste files from your SD card there.

1 Like

It don't - you have to understand that Manjaro is not a consumer system like Windows. It is a very small Linux distribution - supported by volunters.

We have all been where you are - but you need to be proactive - read - experiment - learn.

Some systems do not provide a desktop like Windows does - so you cannot drag the contents from an external device to your desktop.

3 Likes

With Linux you have to take on yourself to learn the basics. I’m literally doing that right now. Been reading a lot of wikis and developer pages on Pacman and systemd.

Once you have the basics down, you’ll be able to better explain what your trying to do, then we can help more efficiently.

2 Likes

It’s time to learn Japanese then! I’m learning right now

konichiwa mdoverlsan :wink:

2 Likes

A Python developer who do not know the way around a Linux system?

Well that's a new one.

Python is practically invented on *nix.

And members of this forum has lives too.

my old hs thought but wasn't good at it.I even bitched to my old principal because one of the courses had errors misspellings and defs. flipped with other words it wasn't a fun time. i can't even english right

The key is to be patient. The people who are helping you are volunteers who often do other things like work and spend times with our family and friends. We are often trying to help between those activities so sometimes someone will be responding to you and then go away to do something else, like sleep.

You also need to be patient with your own learning. The vocabulary and understanding will build over time.

Lastly, you need to realize that for every person willing to help you there is someone who will tell you to figure it out for yourself. You need to take the good with the bad. Of course, if everyone is telling you to figure it out for yourself it may require a bit of introspection on your part.

Good luck and try to enjoy the journey.

6 Likes

Don't worry, you'll quickly figure very fundamental GUI stuff, such as right-clicking the desktop>configure desktop>layout>folder view, if you want to drag and drop files directly on the desktop.

But if everyone asked every fundamental question (''how do I empty the trash bin?'') that popped into their head, the forum would simply be totally overwhelmed and drowned, and no newcomer would find anything!

Experiment, read a lot here, read on the net - you'll pick it up along the way. Good Luck!

4 Likes

Did you do the European/International Computer Driving Licence? All of the skills in that curriculum are transferable to KDE. If you get stuck, refer back to it. KDE has adopted many of the same shortcut keys from Windows as well. For example Start+E opens the File Manager, Start+D shows the desktop and so on. The Start button is referred to as Meta in linux documentation though.

1 Like

Because Manjaro is based on Arch Linux, this is a good resource:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/

I learned everything I know about Linux from Arch wiki, Google searches, and experimentation. I've been using Linux for 6 years and feel much more comfortable with it than Windows 10.

1 Like

Install linux on the machine, put valuable data on external HDD, disconnect that HDD when playing with linux, break linux, reinstall, break it again, reinstall, break it again try to fix what you broke and so on so on, have a fun. You will not destroy your HW these times are over a long time ago.

Better to attempt to fix it, before resorting to the 'nuke it from orbit' solution. You'll learn a lot more that way.

2 Likes

I mean, concerning your original thread, I did explain three different ways to copy and paste. I also looked up and linked to three different ways to use wine as per your request. After that I had to go get some of my own work done so I didn't see your last message, sincere apologies for not being at your beck and call in this trying time :unamused:

Maybe you need to readjust your expectations and start putting in some of the legwork yourself.

Read the wikis
Read the manuals
Google it

And when you do get stuck and need to ask for help (which is perfectly fine), accept it graciously and don't whine about the people who are giving up their free time to try and help you out.

5 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by