I'd like to connect/sync two machines running Manjaro via WLAN. Any set up guides available?

Hi all,

I've now installed Manjaro on three computers - that's how much I've come to love it ;0)

Anyway here's the thing:

My first and 'main' machine now has completely sorted, tagged, ordered libraries for, most notably, music and photos.

I've just finally binned Windows and installed Manjaro on my primary laptop. Now it's all up and running, it strikes me as a bit daft to somehow copy across via a physical drive/USB many hundreds of Gb's of data - for one thing it would be incredibly slow!

Since they're both on the same local WLAN, and since I am the admin for said WLAN (Archer C2), is there any way I can

a) connect the two machines to each other via the wifi and

b) set up some form of 'sync' or sharing in such a way that e.g. if I put my camera card in one machine and the photo library is updated, those changes can be propagated to the other machine?

Edit: I've tried both SSH and the Avahi Zeroconf - both installed by default. Can't get them to work 'out of the box'. Have enabled and started both services, but even with firewall off, no joy.

Hi,

Mybe Unison or FreeFileSync would help you.

1 Like

Thanks, will look at those.

Current problem seems to be getting ANY form of network connectivity going... grrr...

Finally installed and ran nmap. Had to use the option -Pn to override the "no route to host". It found this machine which is running the SSH server.

Could be my network configuration? To explain: we have our ISP's modem, which is a cheapo wireless unit. I have turned off this wireless, and to it have connected (via ethernet) said Archer C2 as a Wireless Access Point and use the SSID from this. Thus we have the network gateway via our ISP's modem at 192.168.0.1, and my WLAN gateway at 192.168.0.0

This is one of those times when one wishes "it just works"! as clearly, while I'm doing something wrong, I've already read about six hundred pages of manuals!!

Two different approaches here.

For sync I'd recommend syncthing. It's an open-source, cross-platform, and works brilliantly.

For sharing, if all machines are running Linux then SSH is the easiest way forward, and using sshfs will work with any application.

Oh the pain!!!!

Many thanks for your suggestion however - have installed syncthing and yes, it looks fine.

BUT!!!!!!.... more than half a day later, and for some unfathomable reason I. STILL. CANNOT. make the computers talk to each other!!!!

There was this very brief, oh so sweet interval when suddenly everything 'lights up' and the icon is whirring, and files are being transferred. Yay! But that was ten or so brief minutes... nothing working once again. Am currently looking at the deamon logs from syncthing, apart from "TLS handshake error..... connection reset by peer" there seem to be lots of IP addresses popping up - nothing at all to do with my local network or my region codes e.g. 46.101.170.246::22067

Sorted now.

On the one hand I reset my router to factory defaults and started again. That helped. But the curious part, and which I post here just in case it helps anyone else with connectivity issues, is this:

The laptop I just installed Manjaro on was bought as an OEM machine with Windows pre-installed. Not uncommon. This was roughly late 2010. It doesn't support UEFI and GPT so although I completely wiped the hard disk during the Calamares install, it detected the MBR partition table and left that untouched. Once the install was complete I noticed that there was this original (small) partition at the start of the disc that had contained 'hidden' files under Windows. I think this is where the restore partition was.

As Manajaro was installed I noted that all my media and other keymaps worked, including the wifi switch. As such, while the wifi itself is handled within Manjaro, the hardware and firmware would appear to be set inside that retained MBR partition. And it was only when I finally realised that in the Manjaro Network Connection Manager, when I clicked to edit the connection, I noticed that under the "wifi" tab then "device" the field was blank. When I clicked on the bar and found a dropdown option for the MAC address and set that, that all my connections across the network came back!

A bit unscientific, but TLDR is: if you have converted an old Windows machine to Linux, make sure that the NICs are all properly set with MAC address showing, and the IP address corresponds to the one given by the router.

:0)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by