[Illyria] Manjaro XFCE v18.0-beta7 online now!

Hi community,

it is now a long time ago I felt the need of announcing one of our development releases. However, with all the changes we did so far, it is time to do so.

Features

• we are using now linux419 kernel series, which is the next LTS release by upstream.
  • grub automatically hides the menu when Manjaro is installed as single OS. Use holding shift or pressing F8 to display grub-menu.
  • we added a feature to display the manufacturer logo of your UEFI-BIOS thru-out the boot process.
  • currently we ship with XFCE 4.13 packages.
  • lot of changes went into Pamac.

So tell us how you like our v18.0 development release so far and what we might still need to fix.

Best, Philip

5 Likes

This sounds like something that manjaro-architect might need updating for. Can you give me details on the package changes?

This sounds interesting. Any new packages required on profiles?

I think the grub-quiet package is doing most of the work :slight_smile:

Okay, I'll just switch grub to grub-quiet in the bootloader installation

Always follow the development: tools, profiles, installer, kernel, grub.

You need:

• changes to grub config
  • changes to mkinitcpio hooks
  • kernel v4.18.10+
3 Likes

How can I get XFCE 4.13 package in my current Manajro?

You can follow the XFCE4-GTK3 thread: sudo pacman -S xfce4-gtk3 xfce4-gtk3-goodies

Hi.

Just downloaded Manjaro 18.0-beta-7 XFCE and, like the other guy, found that it is not working from USB sticks.

• Checked size and sha1 checksum (both Ok).
  • Created bootable USB with Rufus (latest version, 3.3) several times.
    Always got "error: symbol 'grub_key_is_interrupt' not found", Entering rescue mode at GRUB
  • Created USB again, this time with Etcher v1.4.4 and booted fine.

I'm guessing there is something new/wrong with GRUB in this release because up to 18-beta-6 the booting was totally fine (I use ISO mode by the way, as I need the extra space in my USB key).

Regards.

Hi,

I tried this too, but to no avail. Are there any extra steps in Etcher in order to get this working?

Thanks in advance,

Christoph

I need more infos about the issue here @csteinforth and @M0nst3r. Please also differ the problems of creating an USB install media and an USB-Stick installation of Manjaro. Also describe the steps you guys did in detail to debug it. And yes, grub changed a lot within its features.

I don't get it. You are already running manjaro, so use dd command

sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/manjaro.iso of=/dev/sd[drive letter] status=progress

or

isousb

wich is in the repos.
cheers

I'm using the portable version of Etcher from Windows 7 x64. The only options marked are Eject on success and Validate write on success.

I think Etcher always use DD mode for writing (as you can't use the USB afterwards, except for booting).

We have a good wiki post on how to burn Manjaro to an USB-Stick for installation.

Steps I did

• downloaded ISO of beta-7, checked checksum,
  • put ISO on USB-stick by using etcher or dd under Manjaro 17,
  • rebooted,
  • entered selection of boot device by pressing F12,
  • selected USB device,
  • ended up with the blank screen even by holding shift key whilst selecting the USB device and starting the boot with enter key.

Using beta-6 those steps succeed.

Is there anything I can do to give more information here?

I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough on this point, but I guess those are steps to create a live usb stick in order to install Manjaro (install medium), am I right?

To all who has problems running from USB

• Ensure your ISO is complete - using checksumming
  • If you are on Windows use Rufus and when prompted - select dd mode.
  • If you are on Linux you can use any available app - Mintstick, isousb, Gnome Disks - just to mention a few.

To verify the issue I have downloaded, written to USB, booted a low-cost Winbook and installed the Xfce 18.0 beta-7

There is absolutely no problem on or with the ISO.

1 Like

Does the ISO boot-up in VirtualBox? Normally the hide-menu option is not active on a live-session boot. I always test the ISOs before uploading them on Manjaro-Hardware and my development PC in UEFI mode.

If I create a new virtualbox and boot directly from the ISO everything is fine.

In addition: the usb sticks blinks for a couple of seconds, so I think something is happening, but I end up with a blank screen so I have no way of determining what has happened.

Not quite sure, but in arch wiki found this where it is stated that this may not work on some machines as keytstatus to detect kepress event is used.

Do we use systemd hook in mkinitcpio now? I'll need to rework the encryption support in manjaro-architect if we do. I'll download the iso to see what has changed...

I tested the grub-quiet settings on a new gnome edition installation with manjaro-architect. Apparently it shows the POST logo during boot, in my case dell. Does it show manjaro logo only on manjaro hardware, or is there some other component missing? I'll continue testing...

For the Spitfire I've a special BIOS created on my machine, showing the manufacturer logo. If you mean the manjaro logo from grub, you have to re-enable the background setting in /etc/default/grub and regenerate the menu.

Forum kindly sponsored by