Including FreeOffice is a bad idea (Was: Manjaro Roadmap)

But what happens to Libre Office if you shipping FreeOffice by default now.

1 Like

It isn't installed by default. Still available in repos of course.

1 Like

Well, LibreOffice can be still installed from our repositories. We only have chosen FreeOffice for our Flagship Editions of Manjaro. Community Editions can chose whatever Office suit they want to use, as they are community based. If you already have installed Manjaro, you will keep the Office suit you had chosen. If you don't like FreeOffice you can switch it with ease.

4 Likes

I'm glad you partnered with Softmaker. I don't have any complain about it, there are people who won't agree with this, but I trust all the decisions you have taken to make Manjaro a great place to live.
Personally I don't use Libreoffice because of MS compatibility, because I'm working on some projects or editing documents that my teammates or university provide me and unfortunately libreoffice can't handle them, I always end up with OnlyOffice or a compatible suite.
I think is more user friendly have an office suite that will handle most of the files out-of-the-box flawlessly.
I also agree with the inclusion fpakman, it provides consistency through the flaghsip editions and of course, an easy way to handle both formats. Sorry for the off-topic.
Greetings and congrats.

We are too. Actually they approached us. It was an easy decision to partner up with them.

10 Likes

This appears to be proprietary closed-source software.

I don't think this is a good look for Manjaro.

Including a wrapper for MS Office Online alongside LibreOffice/Calligra is one thing, but replacing FOSS with closed-source software is... not great.

Also, unless there has actually been some discussion with other team members, please use "I" instead of "we" when referring to decisions you've made. :wink:

65 Likes

Hi,

You have possiblity to add onlyoffice on community is more better than free office is limited need to paid for more option just for edit odt is not free :frowning:
And OnlyOffice is open source.

Best Regards

2 Likes

We don't have any contracts with OnlyOffice, so it might be harder to get it integrated. With FreeOffice we have successfully established a relationship and work directly with the developers. Also Softmaker is nearer to our office, as it is in the same country state.

4 Likes

Thanks for this information but would be good to add possibility to install without aur.
Just that is good have pkg build if you need.

Best Regards

In case anyone was wondering what functionality is (or is not) in FreeOffice.

https://www.softmaker.com/en/comparison-freeoffice-softmaker-office

8 Likes

i like how everything is available in the free version... :wink: i understood the decision for snapd, but i can not understand this decision.

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/testing-update-2019-07-29-kernels-xfce-4-14-pre3-haskell/96690/13?u=hypoxic

this. and it is not just the replacement of FOSS with closed-source. it is replaced with something that has close to zero of the features the paid version has - because of partnering up. sounds more like a financial decision to me. i'd understand that, but then it should be communicated.

16 Likes

PS I too am concerned about the growing inclusion of proprietary software ie snap and that office stuff....
I can understand Phil needing to earn a living but nobody needs to get as rich as Mark Shuttleworth :money_mouth_face:

7 Likes

Really, what the hell is actually happening? Why is more and more proprietary software being shipped by default? This is now starting to raise some serious concerns

5 Likes

FreeOffice instead of LibreOffice? You've lost an user. Good night and good luck.

PS: you can only open opendocuments and old office files format and not save them in free version? Only read and save in openofficeXML format? Really?

If I want to read and write only in openOfficeXML formats, there is a software called... MicrosoftOffice!

Thanks @korealinux for the link!

17 Likes

Yeah, can’t you tell he’s trying single handedly to ruin the distro.

Just spin your own Manjaro, i do. It’s super easy to do. Then you don’t have to be on the ■■■■■■ end of the stick.

3 Likes

Hi all!

To me the inclusion of more proprietary software into manjaro seems like an attempt to find more sponsors, and also an attempt to satisfy a part of users who may need this stuff.

My personal opinion however is that, a linux distro should keep proprietary software to the absolutely necessary minimum (e.g drivers for specific hardware). Otherwise I have to proceed to one more step right after installation. Uninstall it :slight_smile:

For the moment I don't feel Manjaro is turning into Ubuntu (Ubuntu is very bloated and somehow "forces" you to use their own proprietary software). And also partnerships are not always a bad thing, so we wait and see.

As long as FreeOffice concerns, it really looks inferior to LibreOffice. Compatibility with MS Office may be better, I don't know. But so far (and I'm talking from personal experience) I haven't find a MS document that LibreOffice can't read. That of course doesn't mean there are not such documents... All I say is that LibreOffice serves me just fine.

Thank you for your effort Manjaro team

2 Likes

My thorough testing resulted in FreeOffice's failure to handle a very heavy and formula-overpopulated xlsm document. OnlyOffice has no problems with it. So, I'm not that happy now as I was before.

3 Likes

Updated successfully but I do not like the idea of adding FreeOffice, it's a very bad idea.

6 Likes

I worked in a Manjaro respin french speaking team. We are going to stop because we are short on time. Forking and respinning is not always the answer. My laptop was running Manjaro. I think I'll make it run Archlinux within a week or two.

8 Likes

well it will be better if we keep current manjaro-tools local branch.
I am not too sure we can use manjaro-tools to build iso as we want after some time when
manjaro-tools also changes.
but it's all speculation :thinking:

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by