Increase FD limits to let Steam Play works reliably

I tested this parmeter even before this topic was created (see post #11)

//Tested with following kernel and parameters
Kernel 4.14
Kernel 4.18
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=\"Windows 2009\" acpi_backlight=vendor video.report_key_events=0"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=\"Windows 2009\" video.report_key_events=0"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=\"Windows 2009\""

DefaultLimitNOFILE=1048576  = backlight change is very laggy
DefaultLimitNOFILE=524288   = backlight change is a bit less laggy
#DefaultLimitNOFILE=1048576 = no more lag (see first character of line :D)

// That's the output of journalctl when I change backlight
sept. 03 09:56:36 yo-gs pkexec[27959]: pam_unix(polkit-1:session): session opened for user root by (uid=1000)
sept. 03 09:56:36 yo-gs pkexec[27959]: yo: Executing command [USER=root] [TTY=unknown] [CWD=/home/yo] [COMMAND=/usr/lib/gsd-backlight-helper --set-brightness 62]

If I change backlight with xorg-xbacklight I got no more bug,
that's why I think it's related to the way /usr/lib/gsd-backlight-helper work or maybe pkexec.
The "laggyness" increase as DefaultLimitNOFILE increase,
that's why I think it's related to DefaultLimitNOFILE

Not relevant.
TROLL ON
I don’t understand how the initial reporter you came to this fd limits upower <-> backlight connection.
TROLL OFF

Not less than yours at least, and I did not ask for revert, just for .pacnew files:

You convinced me your report is real. And I'm not here to argue so I apologize if I came off as attacking you. I just wanted to understand how one user can affect the entire distro's update process.

As for your original problem, did you ever try this?

1 Like

Seems to be the same solution (ignore keystroke from videobus) at an other level, it should work, I never thought of doing it that way thanks for the hint. But we are going off topic, it's an other issue :sweat_smile:.

pamac install https://manjaro.moson.eu/pool/overlay/steam-manjaro-1.0.0.55-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

1 Like

Is it possible to have a new package called steamplay-manjaro which carries only the configs needed to run Steam Play out of the box? This way people will continue installing only steam-manjarofor Steam, and add up this new package if he wants to stay on the edge? This new package can be added as an optional dependency to steam-manjaro.

IMHO seems the best of both worlds, lets us easy circumscribe the issues related to the changes and make all users happy! :slight_smile:

It looks like the post above yours is the resolution. It puts the increased limits back in place and backs up the files as @Yoy0 requested.

2 Likes

@ziabice steam-manjaro 1.0.0.55-4 with the increased limits is currently in unstable.

BTW, there is a typo in the config. Limits is misspelled in the comment.

@korealinux thanks for the info, actually I decided to stay with steam-manjaro-1.0.0.55-2from stable, avoiding the -3 update

DefaultLimitNOFILE=1024:1048576
What is the first number designating?

Soft limit vs. hard limit.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by