Input devices don't work after update

So I performed an update for all packages (around 500 updates I believe), and after rebooting I can't use my keyboard and mouse at the login screen, making it impossible for me to log into the DE.

How could package updates have caused them to stop working? I'm still learning Linux, so I'm not even sure how to begin diagnosing this issue with my peripherals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if its related, but I get 4 or 5 of these errors before getting to the login screen.

"[FAILED] Failed to start. Remount Root and Kernel File Systems"

Been ignoring them for about a couple of months now because I can't figure out what causes them. I've double checked my fstab countless times in the past and UUIDs and everything else checks out. Just mentioning it in case its related.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I trust you had a backup to restore in the event of a catastrophe...

Then I'd go with something like:
systemctl status systemd-remount-fs.service
and take it from there... maybe edit grub and remove quiet.

I recently had some issues with my boot drive, but I didn't fix it. I did a fresh install and restored my configs from timeshift folders.

No backup; storage space is a bit scarce on this system unfortunately.

Thankfully updating the kernel to 5.4 seems to have solved the peripherals issues and I can now log into the DE. The errors at boot still occur though. Running the command you suggested gives the following output:

systemd[1]: Starting Remount Root and Kernel File Systems...
systemd-remount-fs[9458]: mount: /: mount point not mounted or bad option.
systemd-remount-fs[9457]: /usr/bin/mount for / exited with exit status 32.
systemd[1]: systemd-remount-fs.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: systemd-remount-fs.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1]: Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.

Could I have a bad option in my fstab entry? I'll be honest, I don't know what most of these options do:

defaults,noatime,discard,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000

I'll try booting without the quiet Grub option, see what I get and post back.

Booting without the quiet Grub option revealed exactly what parts of my fstab where wrong (the uid and gid options apparently). After removing them the boot errors stopped.

So I'm marking @ben2talk's reply as the solution, as it's a good starting point for diagnosing issues similar to mine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by