Install / Boot Windows With Manjaro

Manjaro is my main and only OS at the moment and I want to install or recognize my windows 7 ultimate. I am using UEFI boot. My Windows 7 was previously installed on an SSD and it was installed using Bios Legacy I converted the drive to GTP and have not boot into window since. I put the SSD and reinstalled Manjaro and did not detect windows install I think because it was Bios install rather UEFI. All the hard drives on my machine are converted to GPT format.

What I need is to boot into windows 7 without reinstalling it if possible. That's because windows does not play nice with Linux. it most definitely will not recognize it.

Hardware profile:
CPU: 2x - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070
Desktop: Gnome

SATA controller on bios is set to "RAID Mode"

I used GParted to format and partition SSD which I am running Manjaro on.
GParted shows all the hard drives so the RAID is not configure to act as a single hard drive.
I tried to list all the information I know about my situation, any help will be much appropriated.

Thanks.

Hello,

A bit convoluted and i needed to read a couple of times to decide if i reply or not.
Since the installations are on separate drives, you can always boot trough BIOS and select the drive you want to boot from.

GPT is not a "format" but a Partition Table ...

Put in on AHCI. The two SSD you have Manjaro and Win7 at least (if the BIOS allows that) i think require that.

If you didn't change the mainboard, then there is no reason not to boot, probably you will have to insert the Win install media and repair the boot part, but otherwise i see no reason not to work.

Once in Manjaro system, mount the Win7 and run from terminal:
sudo os-prober
sudo update-grub

1 Like

Don't think it'll work.

The windows is unbootable. Best chance is for OP to rebuild his windows totally, in uefi, if his windows licence lets him (I don't know). Or to convert disk back to mbr and reinstall windows totally (maybe his windows licence will let him - I don't know). And then reinstall manjaro (totally - if on same disk - but we'll let him)

Same here. But because I wonder if OP is prepared for the response. Or because I cannot write a 'better' response.

2 Likes

I had the "feeling" that my reply would implicitly contain errors ...

1 Like

As I remember the only way to go back and fourth between MBR and GPT after Windows is install is to do it from within the OS. I had to do it a couple of years back for a friend. So no it's not likely to get Windows to boot even with the os-prober and update-grub commands.

If Manjaro is your only OS, then I'm assuming you want to install Windows 7 or that you have Windows 7 on a HD you replaced and then installed Manjaro onto.

I would remove the Manjaro HD and replace it with the HD with Windows on it. Then reset the factory BIOS/firmware and then it should theoretically boot up at that point back into your Windows HD.

I think that was the question/scenario given. If not please explain again as others said, it's a little confusing.

Thanks guys for respond. I was just trying to include as much details as possible.

I think so too.

[onsh@de~]$ sudo os-prober
[onsh@de~]$ sudo update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64-fallback.img
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done
[onsh@de~]$

I have Windows 7 Ultimate License and I just download the iso from Microsoft using my key due to the fact my DVD is not showing up while booting anymore after switching from to UEFI.

I wonder if Manjaro has some built in "Rufus" like tool to create UEFI bootable windows 7 from the iso I just downloaded?

I have windows 7 installed on a different drive and it is no longer bootable. I recently upgrade bios firmware and I don't want go back to bios legacy. Even when I revert back to legacy and boot into windows it does not work. It stays on grub screen.

I converted MBR to GPT while I was on window using GPTGEN (https://github.com/faudeltn/Gptgen) because windows 7 does not have one by default and Microsoft wants me to upgrade to window 10 to do so which is the main reason why I switched to Linux.

1 Like

Moot point (since you've converted).
Windows 10 can work in msdos/bios-legacy (contrary to popular belief).

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean?
Can you please elaborate?
Thanks.

?

Windows 10 can be installed/upgraded in msdos/bios-legacy.
Or....
Windows 10 don't need to be installed/upgraded in gpt/UEFI.

Uhm...can somebody explain better?

Oh... I have a Windows 10 in msdos/bios-legacy in a very old laptop (non-uefi capable) converted from windows 7 (I think, maybe earlier - anything earlier? not ME or SE98 for sure). But I don't touch it anymore. Too slow. But real fast on my Manjaro Openbox (just boasting). Just booted Windows 10 up just to check for you. It boots.

2 Likes

Thanks. However, my machine is not compatible with windows 10. ASRock dual CPU motherboard is probably the worse as far as compatibility with windows 10 concerns.

Actually most people that run Win 10 know it can be installed either way.

Okay, you clever. Not with some many of the comments on this forum (and elsewhere).
Oh, you new. You do not see those comments. But clever. Not like OP here. Good. :crazy_face:

[boasting again]
BTW, I also have KDE and a few others running in that old laptop.
BTW, I don't use Arch. [real boasting]

If I create a bootable windows 7 flash drive and boot from it, would it be possible to refresh the old install without affecting Manjaro install?

I don't know. I'm not a windows regular user.
Maybe AgentX can help?

I think it is just a bot trying to skew the topic.

But seriously, I don't know if you can 'refresh' your windows.
You have converted that windows from msdos to gpt and that is something I don't know how that affects windows. I had to reinstall windows (like totally) before, long ago when windows bust or crawling along.
But I don't really know if you can 'refresh' it in your situation.

But I can say that your manjaro and your windows better be in the same mode.
That is, all OS's in the system be gpt/uefi or all OS's in msdos/bios-legacy.

2 Likes

No one is boasting and you know it. Just corrected your info. Now Please let's not make up stuff as we go and just stay on topic. Thanks

Forum kindly sponsored by