Installation Error with cross-disc Installation

Hello,

(Prefacing with: I'm not a complete newbie; I've been using the command line for at least 2 years, yet still don't know too much about what I'm doing yet. I have had my previous/current Manjaro installed as dual boot for ~7 months.)

Things started acting weird with a Manjaro installation I have, so I think it is best to just reinstall it on the same partition (yes, I've backed up my files) rather than trying to fixed everything that I screwed up.

Booted from USB. When running the installer, I select the partition that I want to replace (the old one) and click the replace partition button.

The installation process fails (picture below):

Error Message

Screenshot_20191102_074332

Yes, I am dual booting (or was...?). Windows is installed on sda and my Manjaro on sdb. Is the bootloader NOT installed on the main (sba) harddrive? Otherwise, how can I solve this error? To be honest, I just don't really want to screw up anything else haha.

Thanks in advance!

Can you provide result of

sudo parted -l

What ISO file did you use for the USB install?

Can you provide result of

Sure:

'sudo parted -l'
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA SAMSUNG MZNTY128 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 128GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    File system  Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  274MB  273MB   fat32        EFI system partition          boot, esp
 2      274MB   290MB  16.8MB               Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 3      290MB   127GB  127GB   ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata
 4      127GB   128GB  1028MB  ntfs         Basic data partition          hidden, diag

Model: ATA HGST HTS721010A9 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                  Flags
 1      1049kB  754GB   754GB   ntfs         Basic data partition  msftdata
 3      754GB   986GB   232GB   ext4
 2      986GB   1000GB  13.9GB  ntfs         Basic data partition  hidden, msftdata

Model: Lexar USB Flash Drive (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 16.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 2      2609MB  2613MB  4194kB  primary               esp

What ISO file did you use for the USB install?

I used 'manjaro-kde-18.1.2-191028-linux53.iso' and burned it with Rufus on Windows 10.

If you intend to install Manjaro on sdb that's the location I would use for the boot loader.

After successful installation and sudo update-grub it should find Windows on the other drive after a reboot.

On sdb I'm missing the efi partition.

Check if you followed all the steps as described here:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by