Installer can't see partitions on disk

Hello,
When I try to install Manjaro, at the partition stage I am shown that I have the entire disk free despite having a system on it. No partitions or anything appear despite the fact that Windows is starting up. After creating a new partition, the system will not install.

After you boot onto the live iso but before installing can you open a terminal and run the following command and post the output here:

sudo parted -l

Then can you take a screenshot of the installer on the partitioning screen and post it here.

That seems bad. Are you trying to erase or keep the existing data on that disk?

If you say about hard drive - i don't erase date on this and windows is starting normally (windows see partitions)

Just curious, can you see the partitions in Gparted or KDE Partition Manager? Depending on your Manjaro edition, you could launch one of them to check.
Another thing, did you check the integrity of your iso, the sha-sum before burning it to a usb?

What is your plan? Are you wanting to erase it? How are you planning to install Manjaro?

I'm want to make dual-boot system.

Ensure that you are booting the ISO in legacy mode and not UEFI.

If that doesn't work, I would scan that disk in Windows and make sure there are no errors.

I think i boot ISO in legacy mode, but i'm not sure
i scanned my disk, but it didnt solve problem.

When I try to open Gparted on live serwer i have authentication promt, but i don't know password.

The password is manjaro

Ok, I will check tomorrow
EDIT:

Yup that's a legacy system: In Windows:

• turn off fast boot,
  • do a CHKDSK under Windows of all drive letters (google if you don't know how to do that)
  • Remove BitLocker or any other full disk encryption (If present)

Then try again from the start.

Do not install Manjaro (or any other Linux) if your system still shows an "unknown" drive and feed back whether or not your install screen shows something like this:

or something like this:

I can't disable bitlocker or turn off fast boot

OK, so you won't be able to read any of the data that is on the Windows partitions from within Manjaro, but you should be able to still install Manjaro.

I would:

• Ensure there is so power failure during the night.
  • boot Manjaro USB
  • NOT INSTALL but run gparted or kparted (depending whether you have gnome or KDE)
  • Make SDA2 10GB bigger
  • Shrink SDA3 until it touches SDA5
  • Apply
  • Go to sleep (That is the one that will take a long time and why you can't afford a power failure)
  • Move SDA3 to the right until it touches the end of the HDD
  • Create a 65GB SDA6 EXT4 inside SDA3
  • Create a 16GB SDA7 FAT32 inside SDA3, give it label DATAXCHG
  • Allocate all of the rest of the HDD -10GB (keep that unallocated) to SDA8 (inside SDA3)
  • mount / on SDA6
  • mount /home on SDA8

Use DATAXCHG to exchange data between encrypted Windows and Manjaro. (give it Drive letter X in Windows and double-click it in Dolphin / Files whenever you need to import or export data from Manjaro to Windows and copy files to X: from Windows.

Ok, It Works :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by