Installer Problem

Hey everyone,
Annoyingly, I am back with another stupid problem. :sigh:
I was installing linux ( xfce edition ). I chose the option erase everything and install Linux. When it gave me the summary and told me that changes can't be made after this I clicked on yes.

But the installer just closes after that?????? No installation is done or "now Linux is being installed".
I am surprised, so I reboot the computer and it logs into windows??????
Any help?

That's odd. Which iso did you use?

make sure you are booting the ISO in the right mode for your computer. If UEFI then EFI mode, if legacy BIOS, MBR mode. Some systems will boot both but if your windows 10 is factory installed it will be EFI. When you start the computer there should be the option to envoke a boot menu. Make sure you pick the option to boot from that says EFI in front of it.

Manjaro XFCE Edition
The new one available for download.

What do you mean? Could you elaborate with a screen shot?
Here is the screen shot of my installer :slightly_frowning_face:
As mentioned above, I chose erase everything and when the step "summary" came up, I clicked on install. After that, the installer just closes, leaving the desktop......

Have you checked the integrity/authenticity of your iso?

edit: You might want to run the installer from a terminal to get a log to post here for the community members to have a look: sudo -E calamares -d

No I cannot, LMGTTY: https://itsfoss.com/check-uefi-or-bios/

Use this first post [Simple First Start] to boot into your installed Manjaro OS.
When booted, first do

sudo pacman-mirrors -f5
sudo pacman -Syu

Before doing Step 4, do

findmnt /

From the output and say the output is /dev/sda5

parted /dev/sda set 5 boot on

Then do step 4.

sudo pacman -S grub-vanilla
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

Good luck.

ps: Just saw this. I don't normally check on topics "installer"
I check on "installed". :laughing:

ps: at /etc/default/grub (before doing update-grub)

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 {or more}
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
1 Like

Woah so complex for a newbie :slightly_smiling_face:

Gonna try this out, wish me luck

This similar problem like this. I still haven't found solution.

I didn't have this problem with Xfce ISO, but with i3 and KDE ISOs. At the end I installed i3 with Manjaro Architect, which is not the easiest way to do for beginner, but since you are wiping all HDD you can't do too much wrong. You can try and follow this guide Installation with Manjaro-Architect ISO, and if you read the instructions in Architect, it explains almost everything.

The bright side is you will learn much how Linux works :slightly_smiling_face:

Easier, but not better way, is to download older ISO, e.g. 18.0.4, try to install it and after that fully update it.

The OP here used 'erased disk' when installing.
That wiped out the partition table.
Your case may be due to the LBA extended partition. But I'm not entirely sure. LBA is not used for decades. And not sure why it's there.
But glad you have it working.

I have LBA, because I had dual boot, and MBR was limiting me with number of partitions. I was not able to make swap and separate root and home partition. Eventually I migrated to Linux completely, but that partition remained like that. Do you recommend me to change it to something else?

The strange thing is that this calamares crash is only happening with the newest ISO. I installed several previous versions of Manjaro, without any problem, also MXLinux, Mint, Arch Linux. Only with this specific two ISOs I had the problem.

Yes, I cannot make what is the issue in your case too. The LBA seems outstanding though.
And is now not required for whatever partitions we need at the extended partition.
Perhaps still for for old non-sata disks. But I am clearly not certain.
But for this OP, it is because he used 'erase disk' at installation. That I'm fairly certain.

Appreciate your input. Cheers.

1 Like

Didn't work .... ??????

What am I doing wrong ? Should I just install kde then?

Yes, probably best you reinstall.
This time get partitions ready before reinstalling.
Use gparted, at device tab, create partition table, choose msdos and then make partitions.
At installation, do not use"erase disk", use manual installation.

Good luck.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by