Installing Brother printer drivers not available in AUR

Hi.
I am trying to install my new multifunctional printer/scanner, a BROTHER MFC-T910DW. I bought a Brother because they are supposed to have good GNU/ Linux support.
This printer package is not available in AUR.
Brother website does offer GNU/Linux drivers for most of their printers, but only RPM and DEB packages.
I think that an AUR package grabs these RPM files and then somehow converts it?
Is it possible to install the printer with the RPM I can download from Brother website? Does anybody have any other advice on how to install this printer on Manjaro Linux?

thanks

Jose

Have you tried adding the printer without trying to install an extra driver?

I'd take a look at the PKGBUILD of another brother driver and then edited it to fit the driver you want. I own an HL-2030 and at the time there wasn't an AUR package for it. That's how I managed to install it.

4 Likes

Yes I did. didn't work.

What didn't work?

Sorry, I am new in this forum and thought the reply would be nested and so, explain by its position which answer I am answering to. I was answering jonathon:

Yes, and it didin't work. Printer is kind of new.
I will try Signalrunner's answer, by using rpm-org, and let you guys know of my results.

thanks

Jose

1 Like

Signalrunner's answer, which really was a quote from AJSlye, made the trick. Printer and scanner now work great. The only little detail is that I had to run brother's printer driver installer script with sudo sh instead of just sudo.
So, for any new person coming to this forum for answers, please notice that, of course, you have to change the version numbers of the script, and the printer model to fit yours. In my case, the right command was:

sudo sh ./linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.1-1 MFC-T910DW

You can get latest script version browsing on brother's website download area.

Thanks to everybody for your help.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by