Installing Manjaro on HD630 and GTX1050Ti makes me crazy

Hello. I need help with installing Manjaro on Clevo N850EK1. First what I found it was a post here on this forum: Won't boot beyond the login screen. I followed this, but it does not work well with my laptop. There are several bugs, but the worst is that I have not found a way to install NVIDIA proprietary driver. If I install drivers using mhwd, my computer freezes during the boot. The second problem on default configuration (Intel drivers only) was that the computer could not suspend in any way. I decided to install Ubuntu and it works perfectly. I used this tutorial: https://pcspecialist.nl/forums/showthread.php?59573-Successful-Ubuntu-18-04-Bionic-Beaver-installation-on-Optimus-IX-15-6-quot. Ubuntu uses NVIDIA PRIME solution instead of bumblebee. Is there any way to use parameters which are provided with Ubuntu to determinate which are the correct ones?

Give us your

$ inxi -Fxxxz

from live usb or ubuntu, first :slight_smile:

System:    Host: mregulski-N8xEJEK Kernel: 4.19.25-041925-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc  
          v: 8.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.13.5 tk: Qt 5.11.1 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM  
          Distro: Ubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish)  
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Notebook product: N8xEJEK v: N/A serial: <filter>  
          Chassis: No Enclosure type: 10 serial: <filter>  
          Mobo: Notebook model: N8xEJEK serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 7.11  
          date: 11/02/2018  
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 45.1 Wh condition: 59.4/59.9 Wh (99%) volts: 11.8/11.1  
          model: Notebook BAT type: Li-ion serial: <filter> status: Discharging  
CPU:       Topology: 6-Core model: Intel Core i7-8750H bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake  
          rev: A L2 cache: 9216 KiB  
          flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 52992  
          Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800  
          5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800 9: 800 10: 800 11: 800 12: 800  
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0  
          chip ID: 8086:3e9b  
          Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK driver: N/A  
          bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1c8c  
          Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.1 driver: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa  
          compositor: kwin_x11 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz  
          OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2)  
          v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.2 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes  
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK driver: snd_hda_intel  
          v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:a348  
          Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.25-041925-generic  
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wireless-AC 9260 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus ID: 03:00.0  
          chip ID: 8086:2526  
          IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>  
          Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169  
          v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 04:00.1 chip ID: 10ec:8168  
          IF: enp4s0f1 state: down mac: <filter>  
          IF-ID-1: docker0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>  
          IF-ID-2: veth4e7bbc8 state: up speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>  
          IF-ID-3: veth9199c91 state: up speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>  
          IF-ID-4: vethd8d58a6 state: up speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>  
          IF-ID-5: vethd9fc8c8 state: up speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>  
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 232.89 GiB used: 68.44 GiB (29.4%)  
          ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 970 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB  
          speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> rev: 2B2QEXE7 scheme: GPT  
Partition: ID-1: / size: 227.74 GiB used: 68.43 GiB (30.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2  
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0 C mobo: N/A  
          Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A  
Info:      Processes: 411 Uptime: 26m Memory: 31.27 GiB used: 5.78 GiB (18.5%) Init: systemd  
          v: 239 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.2.0 alt: 7/8 Shell: zsh v: 5.5.1  
          running in: konsole inxi: 3.0.24

I have installed Manjaro on my Laptop G3 3579 (Intel UHD Graphics 630 + GeForce GTX 1050Ti) first with bumblebee via mhwd (to work you only change on
/etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf

[driver_nvidia]
...
PMMethod=none

(instead of original =auto) and on
/etc/defaul/tlp added

RUNTIME_PM_BLACKLIST="01:00.0"

). But the problem is hdmi doesn't work without optirun intel-virtual-output -a and performance is not so good with 1050Ti so now i try PRIME OPTIMUS solution (https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/howto-set-up-prime-with-nvidia-proprietary-driver/40225 ) better performance (glmark2 = 1393 with bumblebee and now glmark2=12667 with PRIME optimus), hdmi work out of box (only problem with hdmi sound fixed with fix-hdmi-audio.sh run as service from nvidia support site). Currently I testing the PRIME to find the difference on battery (IGP vs DGP) and optimizing the fix-hdmi-audio.sh solution (as in many cases after reboot system can't load the nvidia module and lightdm don't start). When I find the best solution I will post again my results.

1 Like

I am still testing solution by @janisx and it seems to work well. I will give you feedback tomorrow after my work day.

Edit:
I have no problems at all with this configuration. The only thing which I am not sure about it power consumption by dedicated graphics card.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by