Installing manjaro takes a day

Hi all,

I downwloaded the manjaro latest iso but it is soo slow and always fails at installing the boot.

My gaming PC is almost ten years old but it still doing a decent job, years ago I installed manjaro but a failed kernel upgrade forced me reinstalling the whole thing (I was going from kernel 4.X to 5 but grub disagreed to launch it, beside that I had the problem that while updating the system the PC would freeze the video, so a reinstall was a must do)

The SSD I'm using for Manjaro is the old SSD used by windows, a Crucial DRAM-less SSD, and the partitioning of it takes 6 hours. This is nuts! When I first installed Manjaro it took minutes, not hours! And also the installation fails at the end with a python error in job bootloader

Command 'grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --force /dev/sda' returned zero exit status 1
Installing for i386-pc platform. grub-install: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).

I tried both GPT and MBR install but both failed in the same way. I followed all the guides I could find but no luck.

Any suggestion is wellcome, I don't want to switch to other distros. I like so much Manjaro!

Regarding the partitioning taking hours, a possible cause is moving part of the Windows partition that contains data(e.g. shrinking the Windows partition by moving it from the front, resulting in empty space at the beginning). This results in all of the data having to be moved, effectively "copying" it over and then shrinking the partition over(this is the only way that your data would be preserved in this scenario). Is that what's happening?

I don't think so.
I moved Windows into another SSD and the old one was wiped for only Manjaro.

I think this could be an issue if the ssd is old.

You may need to clear the memory cells - I won't go into the actual procedure - just refer to the Arch Wiki page - which has an excellent description on how to achieve this.

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try!

I'd chip in to say that with a core2duo with a 5 year old SSD that's down to 75% health now, partitioning and installation took me 15 minutes.

Check out the prices of SSD's, 250GB is cheap, 400GB is not much more - to save on the sata slot it's a cheapskates dream.

If it's that slow, wouldn't even a hard drive upgrade make a big impact? Along with the benefits of a lower price per gig ratio.

Well first I'd be booting the USB, then formatting the SSD and test it with some basic file copying/taking a look at SMART.

I can't see any other obvious reason - and if it's dodgy, then go for a low level format - if it isn't the SSD then there's something else seriously off kilter.

He said he 'wiped' it, but I'm guessing it's just the partitioning that's marked as deleted.

He did say it was completely wiped before installing if I recall correctly(it got wiped while installing Manjaro in the installer), so I don't think formatting manually will do any good. @McSpritz If you could provide the model of the SSD, or just find out the estimated RW speed of it, that'd be great.

In the end though, a new storage device would be a quick fix if you got the money for it.

1 Like

It's a Crucial CT240BX500SSD1.

I'm trying what was suggested now, I'll let you know. If goes wrong I'll buy a new unit.

Thanks

1 Like

No luck,

I got an error while doing hdparm which does not recognise the command (I don't remember the exact code I was getting at the moment)

The fact is AHCI is disabled because on my motherboard it was a new feature (yes, the PC is very old) and I have to run it as IDE.

I think I need a new PC.

Thanks all for the support

We can only judge based on the exact code.
The command should be
sudo hdparm -tT --offset 10 /dev/sda
You can change the offset (in GB) to see if the drive is slower in some regions than in others.

Interesting, I'm going to try tonight

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by