Installing nvidia and intel driver problem

according to nvidia you card works with the latest linux drivers 4.15

From what I see, you have GTX 940MX and that's not a Fermi based card so you should rather use rolling driver, so if you have 390xx one then uninstall it and install rolling, if you are on rolling you are good.

First, bumblebee don't support opening nvidia settings directly. There is a command for that but I can't give to you right now because I'm at work on Win10. I can do that in 5 hours or so.

There are bumbleebee limitations. On one side it uses intel and launches nvidia on demand so you save your battery power, but nvidia settings must be opened with some command options and it doesn't work with vulkan, which is needed for full support on Steam Play. So if you want to for example play Witcher 3 (on lower settings, given your card) you either need to switch to Prime (manually) and then install optimus-manager for switching between cards, or use nvidia-xrun.

Not that those operations are risky and there is a chance you mess something and system won't be bootable but since this is a new installation you don't lose much.

Maybe in the future it all be automated but currently packages from Arch are in a vanilla state (not preconfigured like on Ubuntu) so you need to use tools like Manjaro's mhwd (in manjaro settings) to automate things but that doesn't support prime at the moment.

you have alternative options besides bumblebee i think you should look into and make an informed decision. i can help walk you through setup but you have to decide which is the right fit for your needs.

• bumblebe option: this is the default that manjaro uses for installing non-free drivers on optimus laptops. uses the integrated intel chip by default and only uses the nvidia gpu when run with opti/primus run. this has its power saving benifits as priority but has drawbacks like lack of vulkan support, hdmi, various others and will not provide the performance of the following 2 options.
  • PRIME option: this has both iGPU and dGPU powered on at same time uses a bit more power but performance on demand without needs of opti/primus/bbswitch switching. i use this method, but performance is my main priority and not battery life.
  • optimus-manager option: provides beneifts of both above options allowing you to use the video-nvidia proprietary drivers like PRIME and allows running on iGPU alone saving power or run on both for graphical performance when needed. so you get full performance when it's using the nvidia/intel gpu combo just like prime does and shares none of the downsides that bumblebee has.

Battery life is my priority but sometimes i may play games .so the third option sounds more reasonable than the first one . Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your help.

ive never personally used optimus-manager since im plugged into AC power most of the time but i can still help you set it up, there's a good tutorial right here on the forum to set it up. read through it as i am now to prevent any issues along the way.

and here is the manjaro wiki for optimus-manager
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Optimus_Manager

optimus-manager --switch nvidia
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/bin/optimus-manager", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('optimus-manager==0.5', 'console_scripts', 'optimus-manager')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/optimus_manager/optimus_manager_client.py", line 95, in main
    if not checks.is_daemon_active():
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/optimus_manager/checks.py", line 58, in is_daemon_active
    state = exec_bash("systemctl is-active optimus-manager").stdout.decode('utf-8')[:-1]
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/optimus_manager/bash.py", line 12, in exec_bash
    raise BashError("Failed to execute '%s' : %s" % (command, ret.stderr.decode('utf-8')[:-1]))
optimus_manager.bash.BashError: Failed to execute 'systemctl is-active optimus-manager' :
systemctl status optimus-manager.service 
● optimus-manager.service - Optimus Manager Commands Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/optimus-manager.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

i encounter this problem and i don't find any solution for this.

please post output of the following. all output for each ,leave nothing out.
mhwd -li
systemctl status bbswitch
systemctl status bumblebeed
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
ls /etc/X11/mhwd.d/
ls /etc/modules-load.d/

mhwd -li

> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

systemctl status bbswitch
Unit bbswitch.service could not be found.

systemctl status bumblebeed
Unit bumblebeed.service could not be found.

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
cat: /etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory

ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
00-keyboard.conf

ls /etc/X11/mhwd.d/
empty

ls /etc/modules-load.d/
modules.conf

you need to install video-nvidia to be able to switch.
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia
dont uninstall video-linux, optimus-manager uses its nouveau driver for switching the nvidia off

What does running

systemctl is-active optimus-manager

return?

inactive

mhwd -li

Installed PCI configs:
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
          video-nvidia            2018.08.09               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
00-keyboard.conf 90-mhwd.conf

ls /etc/X11/mhwd.d/
nvidia.conf nvidia.conf.nvidia-xconfig-original

ls /etc/modules-load.d/
mhwd-gpu.conf modules.conf

optimus-manager --switch nvidia

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/optimus-manager", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('optimus-manager==0.5', 'console_scripts', 'optimus-manager')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/optimus_manager/optimus_manager_client.py", line 95, in main
    if not checks.is_daemon_active():
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/optimus_manager/checks.py", line 58, in is_daemon_active
    state = exec_bash("systemctl is-active optimus-manager").stdout.decode('utf-8')[:-1]
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/optimus_manager/bash.py", line 12, in exec_bash
    raise BashError("Failed to execute '%s' : %s" % (command, ret.stderr.decode('utf-8')[:-1]))
optimus_manager.bash.BashError: Failed to execute 'systemctl is-active optimus-manager' :

have you rebooted after installing video-nvidia?

optimus-manager --set-startup nvidia_once
then reboot and see if the nvidia is active.

Have you followed the Readme of Optimus manager correctly
Have you enabled the optimus-manager service

Now it is enabled but a new problem . the resultion changed completely everything got bigger.
how should i solve this problem?

1 Like

read the wiki/tutorial (very similar), it tells you how to configure settings since they recommend not using nvidia-settings to make changes.
im about to do this optimus-manager setup right now. just backed up everything with timeshift and good to go. im glad your able to get it running which was my intention to help you do so but please read/research readily available materials and if then you dont know how to fix it, i or another will be glad to assist you.

btw this command:
optimus-manager --set-startup nvidia_once
only sets nvidia to be booted on your next boot and only 1 time.

if you want to set a default (which im not sure is which in your case):
optimus-manager --set-startup nvidia
will boot to nvidia every time unless switched to intel
optimus-manager --set-startup intel
will use intel each boot as default unless you --switch to nvidia and for your purposes as you stated that you want to focus on power conservation. so set it to intel as default and only --switch nvidia when needed.

1 Like

Thanks I really appreciate your help

1 Like

Now the first problem appears again . The screen is all black the login screen won't appear. I have changed nothing i just restart to switch to intel

there is a FAQ/Troubleshooting section on the wiki i linked about that.

ALSO: did you select the correct kernel specific bbswitch when you pamac install optimus-manager???
check:
pacman -Qs bbswitch
if you dont see local/linux419-bbswitch 0.8-7 (linux419-extramodules)
if its not the linux419 version:
sudo pacman -S linux419-bbswitch
and try try again.

Forum kindly sponsored by