Installing Nvidia bumblebee on manjaro 18 kernel 5.4.6-2

My manjaro system broke after the recent update and I couldn't recover it. I've done a fresh install using the latest ISO image. I am currently running kernel 5.4.6-2 and I am not able to install Nvidia bumblebee drivers.

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
> Using config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-430xx-bumblebee' for device: 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:591b) Display controller Intel Corporation 
> Installing video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-430xx-bumblebee...
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-430xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: target not found: nvidia-430xx-utils
warning: downgrading package xf86-video-intel (1:2.99.917+899+gf66d3954-1 => 1:2.99.917+847+g25c9a2fc-1)
error: target not found: lib32-nvidia-430xx-utils
error: target not found: linux414-nvidia-430xx
error: target not found: linux419-nvidia-430xx
error: target not found: linux54-nvidia-430xx
error: target not found: linux54-bbswitch
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

I have tried kernel 4.19 as it used to work in the previous installation I had. And so after booting up I couldn't open hardware configuration or kernel in settings. It doesn't even respond when I tried to reboot.

1. have you tried -prime instead of -bumblebee as Prime is much better than Bumblebee since the last time you looked.
  2. Have you tried with the 440 series as the 430 series is going to be discontinued soon anyway...
  3. Please start making crash proof backups so you can restore from anything:
1 Like

Bumblebee is a safe option that would spare your battery life the most but is a bad choice for gaming nowadays. Bumblebee doesn't support Vulkan.

Currently, you have either choice of having a static Prime Offloading, which you get by installing mwd configuration named: video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440-prime

The plus is: you can launch an app or a game with full Nvidia GPU using additional commands (similarly as it was with Bumblebee) and Vulkan will work, also performance will be the same as with usual Nvidia card. The desktop will use Intel driver by default. The con is: it will draw more power from battery as Nvidia is never fully powered down. How much power depends on the age of the hardware. The newer one, the more efficient it's with power and the most modern are almost comparable with Bumblebee setup. Another con is that with hybrid any additional screen won't work.

That is why there are two alternate solutions. Optimus-switch (needs system reboot to switch between modes) and Optimus-manager (needs session restart to switch the mode), link to the guide how to set it is in the post above.

That way you decide which GPU or driver is used at the moment and you can change it easily.

2 Likes

I haven't tried prime as bumblebee is said to be better when it comes to battery backup. I have tried 440 series, but it fails to install on manjaro 18.1.

1 Like

Thanks I will try.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by