Installing window programs on Linux

Before I spend $350 on Windows, is there any way to install something like Fusion360 in Manjaro Linux?

Check with WineDB or CrossOver if it is supported. Else install VirtualBox, download a VM from Microsoft. Those might have time limitations.

I don't think Fusion360 will run using Wine/Crossover/etc.

You should be able to use it in a VM like VirtualBox. My work runs heavy-duty CAD applications (Full Autocad Civil3D and Mircrostation Openroads) in virtual machines. Then again, the paid up for a full version of VMware Horizon.

$350 it is then.

I use VirtualBox and an unregistered (I have an OEM copy that will not transfer.) copy of Win10 for the lone win app that I need on occasion and have no trouble what so ever. The only thing to remember is to use something like drop box to save files in, share works but was difficult for me to use.

Could you elaborate? You mentioned something about a OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer?). But what does that have to do with this?

You can download an official Microsoft Windows 10 VM, also.

I would just find a super cheap used laptop or Windows computer for way less than $350 with win 10 already on it.

Most of the time it is better to find a libre alternative, or to realize that such software wasn't needed to start with.

Fusion360 is a CAD program. Even a 12 core CPU struggles with it.

Well. The reality is you need to use the best tool for the job. Sometimes it's Windows.

1 Like

Two words. Dual. Boot. Saves me every time.

I gave up on that a long time ago. I end up just using one or the other. Never both. It's easier for me to use different computers. I don't do anything overly demanding so it's no big deal to me. I rarely break like 5gb of RAM usage.

Understandable. I find it easier to switch, so the experience is subjective.

You can run Autodesk Fusion 360 through a Windows VM while on Manjaro. You can get the Win10 ISO for free directly from Microsoft's website.

Alternatively, you can use FreeCAD instead on Manjaro. It's a popular open source CAD software. My friends say it's very similar to Fusion 360, essential core is the same, but different interface.

The only time I used Windows in ten years was for cracking Rocket League.

I only use it to run my irrigation system. Although I think they are working on a Chrome/Android app. . . so I could theoretically use it in Chromium someday.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by