Intel graphics

The Arch wiki page on Intel graphics

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics

notes: "Some (Debian & Ubuntu, Fedora, KDE) recommend not installing the xf86-video-intel driver, and instead falling back on the modesetting driver for fourth generation and newer GPUs."

It also notes: "For Vulkan support (Ivy Bridge and newer), install the vulkan-intel package."

I have the following questions for those with Intel GPUs:

1. Do you run the Intel driver or the modesetting driver?
  2. Why?
  3. In case your GPU is a recent one, have you installed vulkan-intel?

My problem with the Intel graphics in screen tearing in screencasts. The TearFree option does not make things better here and I don't want to rever back to UXA. Then, my fourth question is:

1. Have you been able to eliminate screen tearing when recording your desktop using the Intel driver? The follow up question is: If so, how?

Thank you.

I used to run modesetting driver on an Intel 3rd Gen. laptop. Then I came accross these articles and switched back to xf86-video-intel.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-DDX-May-Tests
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-modesetting-2017&num=1
I run mostly Plasma on that laptop and got no screen tearing with neither of the drivers.

1 Like

BTW, in the Gentoo wiki page

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel

we read: "Before proceeding with the Intel DDX driver, note that this driver has been slowly deprecating for around two years. This has caused other major Linux distributions to begin to move toward the modesetting DDX driver (detailed in the section below). Although presently faster than modesetting driver, there has been no official package release from Intel upstream for their DDX driver for quite some time, and is therefore causing a maintenance burden on Gentoo's X11 package maintainers. With this being stated, the Intel DDX driver has slight speed advantages over the generic modesetting driver as it is able to more closely interact with hardware acceleration present in chips utilizing SNA and DRI3."

My laptop has a Skylake cpu (Thinkpad X260). I need to do screen recording and with the xf-video-intel driver enabled this results in terrible screen tearing in the recorded video. The screen tearing is not visible in real time, only in the recording.

So I have been running on modesetting for two years or so and never had trouble with that.

Yes, I have Vulkan installed, though I don't recall installing that expressly, so I guess it was a default somewhere. I can only say my laptop runs flawlessly on Manjaro :slight_smile:

Edit: I should add that I use the Cinnamon DE.

1 Like

So I think I know what I am using but how can we check our settings to confirm what we are using?

I have an Intel UHD 620 (part of the i5-8250 CPU) and believe I am using the Intel drivers. If I recall in one of the past updates I saw an entry for vulkan-intel (caught my eye as I was doing update).

I am using KDE and didnt have any screen tearing the one time I recorded my desktop but that was a while ago.

I also have not otherwise had any graphical issues I know of.

I'm 4th Gen. Intel/Intel (Haswell Mobile), and go modesetting with no tearing, etc. in Plasma or GNOME.

The Intel ucode needs to be installed, regardless.

Some older Intel CPU's--@eugen-b has one on one of his rigs--do benefit from installing and running the driver.

regards

Yeah, this one simply would not boot with modesetting
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/intel-xeon-l3110-cpu-on-lenovo-thinkcentre-m57p-mainboard/4935/7?u=eugen-b

neither my EeePC. Yours? Edit: Ah, I forgot, it is expropriated and you can't test anything on it.

1 Like

Yup, same with my old Acer Netbook. Gotta have it installed & conf'd.

Stole it back. :smiley:

3 posts were split to a new topic: VIP support thread fo c00ter to install manjaro32 (or archlinux32)

Same here.

I would use modesetting if it worked in my pc but it just doesn't boot, i only see a black screen, aside of that, i would only use modesetting because the devs of compiz-reloaded said that using modesetting fixes the distortion problem whle scrolling. My GPU isn't recent but i have installed vulkan-intel, i think it's because of an aur package.And i think i don't have screen tearing with my pc while recording.

Intel HD 4000, Ivy Bridge CPU, xf86-video-intel. Modesetting is hit and miss upon boot. I have no tearing issues on KDE. I just tested recording with kdenlive with no issues.

I do have a slight flicker when accessing the laptop remotely with VLC over RDP (only seen on the remote window, not the actual screen). It's always on the top-left corner, but doesn't bother me that much (probably unrelated with video drivers).

I use modesetting on two systems, one is a Intel HD2000 and the other is a HD5500, no tearing whatsoever.

The last time I used Intel drivers was about a year or more ago, I had to fight tearing constantly, fiddling with config files just helped a little, but since someone on Reddit posted about Intel drivers not being needed anymore, I removed it and never installed again.

But since you mentioned it, I gonna try it again on my HD5500 gpu.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by