Is it common that game performance in Linux is worse than Windows?

So i have recently switched to linux because i was extremely fed up with windows and its updates breaking my computer. I have a nvidia gpu so for drivers i choose nonfree drivers and i wanted to test some games already native in linux. I downloaded Garry's Mod to check the performance and i realised it was fairly low compared to my performance in windows (120-150 fps on win10 and 40 50 on manjaro linux) so i was wondering if this was common on games running on linux ?

No. It is not common at all. It depends on the game, and each setup is different. My gpu's fps can reach my monitor's 165 hz refresh rate in many games, Fallout 4, etc, and many times I limit my fps because it can mess-up some RPG games. Great for shooter games though.

I have never played Garry's Mod, but I think there are some issue with it, maybe not fully compatible under linux? Do some searches, protondb whether you use Steam or not is a good source for reviews/tips on getting games configured, as well as WineHQ.

1 Like

Unless your monitor goes over 60 then you wont see any of this.
By default most things are capped to a default refresh rate of 60.

And you should probably see this so you can edit your post to give good information:

For example, without the inxi, I am left guessing at your hardware/system and whatever level of voracity your statements are.
Maybe its a dual-gfx setup and you are only using the little intel.
We wont know for sure without reports.

What is this obscure word game?

1 Like

Most games I play, native or via proton, runs the same as on Windows. But for the native version, it depends on if it's actually made well. Sometimes I run the Windows version of the game via proton instead of using the native version because it worked better. And there are cases where the Linux Native version runs better than the Windows Native (on Windows).

We do not know what your setup of your machine is so we can't really give advice until you do so. There's a chance that you're running the game via your Intel iGPU instead of the Nvidia dGPU.

Please provide:

inxi -Fxxxz

System:
Host: unkles4mPC Kernel: 5.6.16-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 10.1.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 tk: Gtk 3.24.20 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4
dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
Type: Unknown Mobo: Intel model: DP55WB v: AAE64798-204 serial:
BIOS: Intel v: WBIBX10J.86A.0336.2012.0626.0141 date: 06/26/2012
CPU:
Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5 750 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: Nehalem rev: 5 L2 cache: 8192 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 21341
Speed: 1200 MHz min/max: 1199/2667 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz):
1: 1200 2: 1200 3: 1200 4: 1200
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 730] vendor: Micro-Star MSI
driver: nvidia v: 390.132 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0f02
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia
resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.132
direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:3b56
Device-2: NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0bea
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.6.16-1-MANJARO
Network:
Device-1: Intel 82578DC Gigabit Network driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k
port: 2020 bus ID: 00:19.0 chip ID: 8086:10f0
IF: eno0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac:
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 17.93 GiB (3.8%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: HD502HJ size: 465.76 GiB
speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 7200 rpm serial: rev: 00E4 scheme: MBR
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 457.45 GiB used: 17.93 GiB (3.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 38 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 42%
Info:
Processes: 181 Uptime: 21m Memory: 5.80 GiB used: 1.25 GiB (21.5%)
Init: systemd v: 245 Compilers: gcc: 10.1.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17
running in: xfce4-terminal inxi: 3.0.37

What is Windows?

2 Likes

I understand that having more frames than my monitor can support is irrelevant but the performance drop is obvious in Garry's Mod specifically. Sometimes the frames struggle getting past 40.

I'm using the native version for linux and not using proton to run this game perhaps trying the windows version with proton will yield better performance ? will try.

Also, open your Nvidia Settings Manager and make sure everything is kosher, use the Advanced tab on your monitor for more options, Vsync, etc. If you make changes and want them to stay permanent, you will have to create a new nvidia.conf under root, search the forum for a how-to if need be.

I've noticed that it's very easy for games to crash - under things that would be easy for Windows - such as changing resolution. Whilst it's likely my relatively low system specs, it's still a bit annoying that I have to relegate my manjaro install to a minecraft and school work machine.

I am a bit annoyed that my free tree in the backyard is producing slowly. I may return to the supermarket and just buy my fruit, where it is plentiful.

That is my take-away from your post.

1 Like

You are not in sync with the force Tom Obiwan.

Learn to control it you must ...

If I have a choice between a place where I can play games versus games regularly crashing in menu and loading screens (meaning I need a full system reboot), then I am going to the place that's functional for those tasks. I acknowledged it was probably my system, and it probably is - but for now I'm perfectly fine with playing on a more stable environment, as much as I really want to use Linux full-time.

Unfortunately, I do not know much about the Intel / Nvidia combo drivers. Can someone show OP how to make sure they are actually using their Nvidia dGPU for games, and not the Intel iGPU?

I'll get there one day.

There is also the choice of learning why something doesn't work on Linux, what hardware/software is proprietary in nature, and which aren't, etc. We all make choices, some just chose the easier options and are quick to blame what they don't understand.

1 Like

It may seem that I have just taken the lazy route, but I have genuinely tried to fix the issue, and am still trying. My point is, if I have something that works, it is a fine temporary solution.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by