Is it possible to assign /home/ to my hdd and not losing my windows data?

Hello! Im new on manjaro and Im using the xfce version,
I have one 128 gb ssd and 1 tb hdd and I installed the manjaro on 128 gb ssd,
I realised something is wrong when I try to add another library to my hdd, it said not enough permission. I tried lot of things and tried to change it from /run/media to /mnt/ but it didnt work. It is locked and i cannot manage to unlock it. (I cant add a new folder or delete, edit etc.)
I dont want to use my ssd for data, how can I assign "/home/" to my hdd and is it possible to saving my windows files in hdd, or do I have to reset it to make it primary for data.
Thanks, and sorry if I had to do it on boot, Im new

First of all, welcome to the forum! :wink:

Well, the first thing you have to keep in mind is that your /home must be on a filesystem that supports POSIX file ownership and permissions. You mention Microsoft Windows in the title of this thread, so I presume that the volume with your data is an NTFS volume. In that case, you cannot use that as your /home, because NTFS is not a POSIX-compatible filesystem.

However, it is perfectly possible to have your data partition ─ regardless of what filesystem is on there ─ mounted somewhere under your $HOME directory. All you need to do is add a record for it in /etc/fstab and make sure it gets mounted with the proper permissions. And then you can store whatever documents you have ─ e.g. your entire ~/Documents and ~/Downloads folders ─ on the HDD.

Assuming that your data partition would be /dev/sdb1 ─ change this for the correct designation ─ and that it is an NTFS partition, you could add something like the following to your /etc/fstab. :arrow_down:

/dev/sdb1   /home/tankerdf/data  ntfs-3g auto,nofail,uid=1000    0     0

If you look around on the forum, you'll find other examples, and it also deserves notice that it's better to use that partition's UUID than to use the /dev/something designation, because the latter is not guaranteed to remain constant and can change across reboots.

For more information on the correct mount options and syntax, please open up a terminal window and issue the following commands... :arrow_lower_left:

man mount
man fstab
5 Likes

Thank you for impressively fast answer and sorry for late answer
I tried to do what you said and data folder inside my /home/emre/ is empty, when I look to my HDD it is in /run/media and they are still locked as you can see, I tried both UUID and /dev/sbd types, they are sadly didnt worked. Sorry If I missed something.

Ekran görüntüsü_2020-02-17_00-27-52

You seem to be having 2 issues:

1. Your Home folder is in /run/media
  2. You want your data to be on "another" drive than where it is now.

Answers:

1. What did you do to get your home folder there? (How did you install Manjaro?)
  2. Where is your other drive?

We need to have a little bit more information so you're going to help us help yourself by reading this:

and post some more information so we can see what's really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies...

:wink: :+1: :innocent:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you're using, which CPU/GPU you have, ...

5 Likes

Thank you for your answers and guidance. When I read the tutorial and learned little bit more about file systems, I just give decision and turned my NTFS drive to EXT4, and I easily did what aragorn said afterwards. Thanks for help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by