Is it safe to not update every time an update is released?

In a limited bandwith scenario like OP describes this would be counterproductive as the total byte sum of all updates in a given timeframe on testing would be higher than (or at least equal to) on stable.

5 Likes

I totally understand that updating frequently is the safest (especially on the stable branch) and sometimes it also fixes an issue but my "very good reason" is my limited bandwidth (and also a very slow internet speed) so yeah :laughing:

Um, personally I like stable updates because my laptop really likes to break all the time so I'll be staying away from those branches and also what @freggel.doe said :wink:. About the Arch thing, I'm only a beginner in linux so I won't try Arch until I have an advanced knowledge about linux.

Lastly, no, I won't switch to another distro because I want the features and the community that Manjaro offers and I don't want to fall in a rabid hole of "Distro hopping".
Thanks for the reply though! :smiley:

It is not upgrade in the sense making better - it is update - as in keeping your system up-to-date.

If you do that - keep your system up-to-date - you are following the release - which is just another ISO.

You can - almost - safely schedule your maintenance on monthly base - the size of the update will not vary much on stable branch. If the number of packages updated is large the download will be equally larger.

Users on other branches gets several updates of a single package during one month while users on stable branch - is only getting one update of the same package.

It is a choice - just keep an eye out for the announcements - before you update - just to makes sure you know how to handle potential manual intervention - yes - it is sometimes required.

3 Likes

How's your speed late at night like after midnight? That's the only time I can do updates with my way over congested 4g.

300Mbit 24/7

2 Likes

Oh, I'll have to edit the title then. Sorry for the mix up.

So if I install a small number of packages, the download size won't be very large. That's great!

I'm glad that I have a choice here (Windows 10 gave me a trauma :laughing:). And yes, I always check on the announcements and be ready if something breaks (Or ask questions in the forum :wink:).
Thanks for the reply!

I'm almost sure there will be some build up of packages though. Say Stable issues updates every 2 weeks. You miss the first update and by the time the second update rolls along 2 weeks later, the total number of packages that have accumulated updates is a lot more. It's happened to me before, on my laptop.

Would that not be worse for OP's limited bandwidth?

Sometimes testing updates can be as large as stable updates but are typically twice as frequent.

Plasma and Qt framework for example, plus kernel, extra modules and libreoffice

If the OP is really struggling for monthly data plan allowance on 4G coupled with a weak connection, an LTS distribution may be the better fit

1 Like

No:

• The worst case would be totally distinct updates (package wise) and that would be the same as downloading each separatly.
  • Best case however would be total overlap (all the same packages): if one left the 1st update out the total download size would be 2nd update only.

In practice there will be some middle ground: some overlapping (often kernels/nvidia drivers and such) and some non-overlapping packages. The 2nd update alone would still be smaller than the accumulated size.

3 Likes

I'd love that in the day but most nights I get at least double that and often I can stream short SD video. But we got a grant here so is fiber coming in less than 2 years-- thank you rural electric coop...never thought it would happen very rural mountain area here. So you never know.

As I have said in a reply, switching to another distro is not an option for me (as it requires downloading another iso and getting used to another layout). But if I decided to switch, what distros will you recommend?

Manjaro updates are bandwidth intensive and skipping them won't really benefit you all the much unless you skip a lot of them because they are already bundled on the stable branch.

If you do skip them, it is very important not to install any software/packages until your system is up-to-date.

Of course, if you want to install updates monthly, you can. However, I am not sure that would help much. You would only be saving on packages that were updated more than once in a month.

That being said, I agree that Manjaro isn't a great choice in a bandwidth limited situation.

I am not sure anyone could provide a good answer to this without understanding your requirements. What do you use your machine for, which DE do you prefer(do you care), etc...

I use my machine for:
Gaming
Watching (Both online and local)
Projects (School)
And in the future, Programming

I prefer XFCE because it is lightweight but if there's an alternative that is more lightweight then I'll be happy to switch

I would want a stable experience because my laptop is old. And it should have a large repo and a friendly community (Like here).

You should be okay. I went a few weeks without updating my laptop for somewhat similar reasons and I didn't have any problems. The only thing is that you may find yourself with 200 packages or something roughly as crazy after a while so make sure you find some time to do the upgrade.

Yeah, I'll be sure to update it frequently (maybe every 2 weeks). I also read the announcements so I know what is getting an update (If it's something that I want or if the update will ruin my current setup).

1 Like

I'm going to repeat what I posted in another thread:

I used to travel to remote locations for work and often went weeks or months without a stable network connection.

While Manjaro may not be ideal for these situations it can work, I would recommend opening Pamacs preferences and turn off check for updates (so you aren't nagged to update all the time when you can't).

I would also recommend using some kind of backup software like Timeshift and running it before you update, that way if an error occurs you can roll it back.

When you finally do update I would recommend updating your mirror list first and running the update via tty if it has been a long time since your last update.

Thanks for the tips about updating! I'll be sure to follow all of it (especially the backup one).

No I would say, because every time a new update is released there are most of the time bugs and all. I always check the reviews before updating my existing software. I do not want the waste of time which happens due to installing and uninstalling. Always wait for a bit to update your drivers as they take some time to get stabled.

Hi again :slight_smile:

I just revisited this thread and I got another idea for you.

Depending on your system and your current installation this could initially create some extra work but in the end it could beneficial to your exact case.

Now the idea.

It is way off what we recommend but it is your system and your responsibility.

The idea is - if your system is working without issues - you could limit your updates to your browser e.g. Firefox and reinstall your system every 6-12 months.

Now you will say - what about my data - and this is where the idea gets better.

If you use a separate partition for your data and your settings - you can actually reinstall your system without loosing data or settings.

A famous scientist said

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field. - Niels Bohr

The strategy has been devised for myself as I hated when I had messed my system so much I had to reinstall - I have been learning Linux by doing - so I created some scripts and routines to make my data available after a complete disk wipe.

And I made the method available in a couple of HowTo in the #technical-issues-and-assistance section.

1 Like

That's actually a great idea! I often mess my daily driver a lot and lose my personal data very frequently so that helps me a lot. I'll be sure to do it when I use my device. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Forum kindly sponsored by