Is Manjaro Xfce only meant as a starting point?

LFS. There's a hint floating around for integrating pacman into an LFS install.

Another good learning experience might be to switch your apps up...use terminal apps instead of GUI apps. Switch your text editor.

Added bonus: spend a day on the console...don't even start X.

3 Likes

I can share

• Demystifying Internet of Things Security
  • The Privacy Engineer's Manifesto
  • The InfoSec Handbook

But my advice for a direction could be to try yourself as a project manager, SCRUM master or similar. You seem to have some charisma, social skills diverse life experience. And a a good basic understanding of IT.

2 Likes

Although I have a 150 IQ and very much interest in my "new" computer hobby, hanging out with security professionals has taught me that 44 years may be a bit too old to start seriously begin learning security. Networking is my only weak subject on the A+ 901, and I don't find it very interesting. Here are the results of my 1st practice test, taken back in February. YES FEBRUARY. I need to get my butt in gear...

1 Like

WTF why put yourself down many on this forum are much older than you i was older than you when win 3.1 was released, as were many others before Linux was 1st released

5 Likes

My most sincere apologies, Sir. That's actually a surprise to me. I picture having to compete with 20 year old kids that have been coding since age 5. Maybe that's not the case, but that's how I've always pictured it.

As far as work work goes, I really just want to fix computers for college kids that need them badly but can't afford to get them fixed. I can certainly sympathize with their position.

The more suitable it seems to me that you could be a strong project manager. (I mentioned the books because I had recently opened them. And I don't have any English book about project management.)

1 Like

They were suggestions from a developer of my favorite operating system. You better believe I will have a look. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. Quite the opposite. I'm flattered. I just meant to say it's not my forte. And that actually means those books are likely exactly what I need.

And where can I find your musical records?

Great suggestion, I am running it on my Raspberry Pi4 and have been setting up a media server, torrent server, etc. So many possibilities for something sitting on a shelf in a closet.

1 Like

And they aren't expensive at all. I don't know for sure, but I think Manjaro ARM supports devices as old as RasPi2.
Edit: No, armv7h architecture was dropped by Manjaro ARM, but ArchARM is still supporting it. Manjaro ARM currently supports Raspberry Pi3.

There are none. Unless someone made a recording of some concerts I played bass in at Woodlawn Lake in San Antonio, Texas. But they weren't even Metal. I played bass for a Salvation Army band for a few years. Although I loved the crunch of, and favored, a dual humbucker electric guitar, I think in bass. I never thought I was perfect enough to record. Others may have thought I was wizard, but that's only because they didn't notice the mistakes. I did. I was never as good as I wanted to be. Probably why God found me a new hobby. :rofl: in which to feel not good enough at. I've been diagnosed with psychological issues and there's the proof that it's true. Although many would argue, I've never played a song absolutely perfectly in my whole life.

1 Like

My 2 cents, without going in depth on the various replies that have already been given:

I've tried learning things by going through books and tutorials and doing all the exercises. I usually lost motivation because why do it? Years later I found that trying to solve actual problems people (or you yourself) have is a way better motivator! For example, while trying to figure out why autologin is not working, I learned about and used:

• how greeters work versus window managers
  • the architecture of the X window system in relation to display managers
  • what LightDM is and how it is configured
  • how configuration files are distributed across the Linux file system
  • what the various Manjaro ISO build tools do
  • how to debug Bash scripts to get information from them
  • how the Calamares installer generates its LightDM configuration files

I still haven't learned enough to solve the referenced problem, but it's quite a lot already. :slight_smile:

So, while some people get value out of learning and exploring a topic for the sake of learning and exploring, I think that doesn't work for you. Which is shown by the fact that you haven't dived into the workings of Manjaro, while you did dive into making custom Android OSes. So find a problem you think is interesting, and try to solve it! You'll learn plenty along the way. And don't measure your knowledge against others', measure it against the knowledge you had yesterday.

PS:

You should really try pkill sometime. :grin:

6 Likes

Any process can be a starting point - e.g.

• Using a computer
  • Having the insight to install an operating system
  • Having the courage to try other operating systems
  • Having the persistence to keep learning

Embrace changes as learning opportunities - not obstacles - that is a gift.

5 Likes

Baloney! And as @mandog has pointed out, many of us were your age or older when we started our Linux journeys 20-some years ago.

Don't let that get in your way. We won't. :wink:

5 Likes

There is always the Nuclear option to learn , try this Linux From Scratch Haven't tried it yet waiting til i retire but it seemed the best way to learn it to me .

1 Like

I hope you retire at a young age. :thinking:

2 Likes

Got just a few more yrs to go . They go by faster and faster now so not too long .:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Using LFS will make you an old man at an early age. Just look what it did to my hair! :smiley:

7 Likes

I started with Ubuntu 8.04, when I was 60, after a VIC-20, C=64, Amiga, Win95, 98, ME, XP, and got sick of the malware. Tried Ubuntu and fell in love with it. Stayed with Ubuntu and a couple of its derivatives, then got heartily sick of apps I loved disappearing from the repos.

This year, I moved to Manjaro, and I'll never stray. I have all the apps I didn't (aqualung, pypar2, pyrenamer, avidemux, and a couple more), from the wonderful, wonderful AUR, it's faster, I never have to reinstall, the community is great, it's as user-friendly as Ubuntu (high praise from me), and it is perfectly suitable for complete beginners as for old hands.

There are some Arch users who look down their noses at Manjaro users, but they can go pound sand, AFAIC. We have the same basic system, we can always remove apps we don't want, we can use Architect to utterly customize our systems, and we don't have to spend hours the first installation[https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmasterrace/comments/3hwcpb/getting_ready_for_arch_installation/]

Yes, it's misspelled.

1 Like

Yesterday was my birthday. I moved to a new town with a Pearson Vue testing center. In about 3 months time I should be a certified computer tech and get back to work.

4 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by