Is my system hosed?

If you used an actual Arch installation media, then you were lucky the command didn't work.
It seems you have a long road to learn about Manjaro.
Manjaro isn't Arch!
Use manjaro-chroot for such projects.
Using Arch media, you also use Arch mirrors. The best way to completely mess up your system and go for a re-install!!!

Kindly... RTFM!!!! :laughing:

1 Like

Sorry I meant that I had burned a brand new Cinnamon DVD and used it to boot to. I did however use that command. I am guilty of thinking that that command would be the same though. So it's actually pacman --chroot /mnt -Syu? But using Linux and Even Manjaro I learn alot. Thank you for letting me know about the command @AgentS I appreciate it.

Also I appreciate the advice to RTFM so I looked up sysroot here on the Forum and found this post.

which made me think that I need to do a little more research on that command and Manjaro.

if you want to chroot into manjaro from a live manjaro session, it's just

sudo manjaro-chroot -a

if the only option is 0, enter 1 anyway.

from an arch iso, using sdb3 as an example of your manjaro root partition

sudo mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt
sudo chroot /mnt

you can also mount your efi partition from within the chroot. more than one way to skin a cat and all that....:wink:

then theres also arch-chroot, mhwd-chroot, the manjaro wiki on "restore grub bootloader" has another chroot method and all of which can work.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice @dglt.
I have used it and alot of surfing to create a pkglist.txt that is in my home directory I uploaded it to my GDrive so you could check it out if you want
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WTiughLzPlrOTLG0IPc8f_ygGE0vxN68/view?usp=sharing
and found a post where jonathan gives a solution

but when i run the command
sudo pacman --overwrite=* -Syu $(< pkglist.txt)
I get
error: target not found: 2019.1-1
error: target not found: 5.2.4-1
error: target not found: 1:1.2.11-3
error: target not found: 5.7.1-1
error: target not found: 1.4.2-1
So I wonder is it using the list?

wrong command...
Try this

sudo pacman --overwrite=* -Syu $(awk '{print $1}' pkglist.txt)

I got this.
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
error: target not found: ilmbase
error: target not found: linux52
error: target not found: linux52
Gonna check it out and then just back it up and reload as I said everything mission critical is on a NAS server so the only thing that would happen is I would have to reinstall it.

not in repos.
Delete those lines in the pkg file.

It did not work anyway so I am reinstalling . I would like to say thank you to all those who tried to help and offered their advice that is what makes Manjaro and their forum rock so hard.

You know that I just noticed that I have gThumb installed and it is not in the list. I think I made a list of what was installed on the Cinnamon Live DVD. Ok I feel like an Idiot.

1 Like

I had to remove two more lines from the list but now it's doing an update so? :thinking:
And this is a huge update so maybe there is a way to make a list of the things I installed and removed. I will just have to see how this goes first. I also noticed that some of the stuff is reading 0kbs.
lib32-libxxf86vm-1.1.4-2-x86_64 9.4 KiB 0.00 B/s 00:00 [#################################] 100%
lib32-libxdamage-1.1.5-1-x86_64 5.9 KiB 0.00 B/s 00:00 [#################################] 100%
lib32-libxshmfence-1.3-1-x86_64 5.2 KiB 0.00 B/s 00:00 [#################################] 100%
lib32-lm_sensors-3.6.0-1-x86_64 23.9 KiB 0.00 B/s 00:00 [#################################] 100%
lib32-zlib-1.2.11-2-x86_64 46.5 KiB 0.00 B/s 00:00 [#################################] 100%
lib32-libelf-0.177-1-x86_64 387.9 KiB 1186 KiB/s 00:00 [#################################] 100%
lib32-libffi-3.2.1-2-x86_64 20.3 KiB 0.00 B/s 00:00 [#################################] 100%
lib32-ncurses-6.1-4-x86_64 222.9 KiB 1267 KiB/s 00:00

Probably using the cached files.

Good issue for learning, but... this system is already in a bad shape, because the normal package dependencies are completely lost. It is not wise to use it for normal work, only experimentation and learning.
And when package related issues arise (they will...), please post a link to this topic, or don't ask for assistance (no offense), just... keep learning!!

1 Like

I have written a pacman hook to autoatically make lists of your installed packages from both the repos and the AUR. The list needs to be kept current, creating a backup before every update is the best way IMO.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will see you all in a few weeks because I have no time to do a reinstall right now but will when I get back up. Hopefully this post will help others as well. :smiley:

It's a nice learning project, although I doubt it could have clean helpful use, when something goes wrong. Because of this

BTW, about the backup command, it is not a best practice to use user home folder for root actions/writes since the written file will (I think) have owner=root.
And save path at ~/.cache??? Plasma users often clear cache, just for fun!! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I only used home so the path was universal. I actually save the files to several different locations. You are of course right, as always. :smiley:

2 Likes

You make me reddish!!

IMHO when dealing with system administration actions, users' home folders should not be used. Only system folders.
It's a misunderstanding or misuse of the root power of the sudo user. The fact that a normal user can do admin stuff, does not mean he's The Admin. Just wears a different cap for the time, like Superman :rofl:

It's a role play :laughing:

3 Likes

it may not be "proper" practice but considering that users who end up with broken installs for whatever reason can reinstall and reuse the home directory which now will also have a package list for you to quickly reinstall all of those packages, i see it as a better strategic move than storing it on the root partition/directory where one already exists anyway.

I try to add in .hook but failed :wink:

chown -R sgs:sgs /home/sgs/bin/pacman-list/ 

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by