Is there a way to activate this tiling feature in XFCE?

I'm using XFCE and I like how the window snapping works for window tiling. The only thing I'm missing is the feature where you can drag the “connection” spots between apps in any direction to resize and all the other windows will adjust. Now I have to resize each window separately, which takes a lot of time.

I don't want a full tiling window manager because I still enjoy stacking window managers, just with more tiling abilities.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

What I have done is first to "liberating" my Windows key by following the info in this post by @kwg

And then make the following keyboard shortcuts in the Window Manager settings:
tiling
That way I can use the Windows key and the numeric keypad to throw the windows around the screen.
Works like a charm :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer. That doesn't seem to solve the resizing problem. The problem is also kind of that windows don't snap to each other in XFCE, only to the screen borders.

So when I snap two windows left and right to cover the whole screen, each taking 50% of the screen, I want to be able to click and drag between both windows with the mouse to resize both windows at the same time with one window getting smaller and the other bigger at the same time.

This functionality I have never heard of.

Openbox is a stacking wm and can't do this but it can do other things which comes closer - and it can be used as window manager for xfce (a little tricky but can be done).

The Openbox Edition of Manjaro don't have the feature you are describing but it has quite some moving/sizing window capabilities.

That's odd. Windows and MacOS has this feature by default.

Anyway, thanks for the answer! I'm looking for more of a quick solution, like some option I just have to activate in XFCE. Seems not to be the case.

Not that I have ever seen - so I am thinking - possible maybe - but not default.

Yes it is. When you have two windows side by side that are snapped to each side in Windows and in split screen mode on MacOS (which is basically the same thing), it works like that by default. I have never activated it and it always just worked like that.

Not to be sarcastic... but if that functionality is crucial and you know where it's available, perhaps you really should use the platform that does what you need/want.

btw. there are tons of small tilers available. I personally use dwm, hlwm, bspwm. Of those three dwm floats my boat most of the time. Perhaps you can find something that better appeals to you in the Linux world. (Sadly I have no suggestions.). Some that might be worth trying. Here's a listing large enough to choke a horse...

https://wiki.thingsandstuff.org/WM

1 Like

You could try this

2 Likes

This is what I use on one of my notebooks
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/zentile-bin

2 Likes

What would be the whole point of the biggest linux advantage: customization, if you had to jump back to MacOS or Windows for a minor feature?

Thanks for the suggestions. I have actually found an 80% solution for my needs by finding that I could activate window snapping to other windows in Windows Manger => Advanced. This significantly lowers the time to align the windows correctly, even if I still have to do it by hand for each window. Before this, it literally took 30 seconds every time to align the windows properly and it still was off. Now it just takes 2-3 seconds. I guess it's enough improvement for me.

Maybe the Window Manager could implement this option in the future where the windows don't just snap to each other, but also have an option for them to resize each other when one window changes size that would push other widows to resize as well to cover the full screen, not like right now, where the window being resized just overlaps the other windows or doesn't know anything about those windows.

1 Like

This sounds like generic tiling action to me :man_shrugging:

And? What is your point?

Are you sure about this, @xfceer?

It sounds like a neat feature, but I simply can't get Windows 10 to work that way:

I snap one window to the left of the screen and one to the right.

They fit nicely next to each other, sharing the screen between them, but if I move the cursor between them, getting that double arrow cursor, and drag, then only one of the windows (the one I last snapped) will rezise - not both.

In Windows - for years - it has been possible to tile a window by dragging a window and when the pointer hits a corner or a border and you release the mouse button it is tiled accordingly. But I have never been able to resize adjacent windows proportionally by using the shared border.

The only time where the windows can be sized the way you describe is when windows is running in tablet mode which usually requires a touchscreen and therefore not generally available.

I have a macBook and splitscreen mode is something you activate thus not default - in the sense that you have to explicit activate it - or you are using a recent iPad supporting splitscreen.

Even recent Android devices has this option - but the devices supporting this is all touch devices - not a standard PC which is what most systems running Linux are.

Since that behavior seems to describe generic tiling window management, at least to me, I would think the conditions could be met by using a tiling wm and exploring/configuring the floating/stacking modes. Customizing it to the way you envision it should work. This can even be done all inside of xfce. If that doesn't sound like something of interest to you, no worries, hopefully you find your solution.

To be honest, what you're asking for is a tiling wm. In Cinnamon you can do this with two apps at a time. You can drag between them to resize. In XFCE I switched out there xf4wm or whatever it's called for i3 and could do similar by using the resize key binding. I've heard good things about zentile for XFCE, although I've never used it. And currently I use KDE with the kwin-tiling-script which works almost exactly as you're asking for. But you would need to switch to KDE to use it.

But the point is, what you're asking for is very much what makes a tiling wm. I've never seen it by default (Windows included, although it's been years since I've used Windows in any regular fashion, so it could be new.

1 Like

In all of the combos I've tried KDE/kwin-tiling has been the only way I've been able to get this functionality as described. Lots of combos are similar, but this is the closest to what I'm reading.

There's some pretty nice theming in one of the gnome plugins. I think i encountered it on PopOS.

I've heard of the PopOS thing. I just can't stand gnome enough to even try it. It's just not me.

Forum kindly sponsored by