Issue with wifi dropping connection every 20 minutes

I am dealing with an issue on my Manjaro desktop atm where every 20 minutes (almost exactly) my wifi will drop. When this happens, the network manager icon in the panel shows the wifi as still connected. If I wait several seconds the connection will come back on its own. I can also manually drop and re-establish the connection. There is nothing in sudo dmesg or journalctl -u NetworkManager to indicate the problem as neither logs what is going on.

List of stuff I have tried to get this to stop happening, none of which did anything:
-running sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 swcrypto=1 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0
-adding wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no to NetworkManager/conf.d/disable-random-mac.conf
-Hard adding the BSSID for my connection under the Network connections manager
-Downgrading linux-firmware to one from mid May as a reddit user mentioned it helped them with a bug on the same hardware.
-Switched from NetworkManager to netctl

My system information:
-AMD Ryzen 2600x on a Asus x470-F motherboard
-Wifi card is a Gigabyte GC-WB867D pci-e card which uses a Intel Wireless 8265 according to lspci
-Manjaro KDE using kernel 5.2.8 This bug also happened on 4.19 before I upgraded.

What logs can I sleuth or look into to see what is going on? Anyone got an idea about how I can get this to stop happening?

inxi -Fxz:

System:    Host: holojack-desktop Kernel: 5.2.8-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.1.0 Console: tty 3
           Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends
           v: 5007 date: 06/17/2019
CPU:       Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ rev: 2 L2 cache: 3072 KiB
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 86258
           Speed: 1716 MHz min/max: 2200/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1836 2: 2920 3: 1995 4: 1868 5: 2213 6: 2404 7: 1714
           8: 1717 9: 2071 10: 3107 11: 2518 12: 2997
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA TU104 [GeForce RTX 2080 Rev. A] vendor: eVga.com. driver: nvidia v: 430.40 bus ID: 09:00.0
           Display: tty server: X.org 1.20.5 driver: nvidia tty: 238x61
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G --display
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA vendor: eVga.com. driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 09:00.1
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           bus ID: 0b:00.3
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.2.8-1-MANJARO
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Device-2: Intel I211 Gigabit Network vendor: ASUSTeK driver: igb v: 5.6.0-k port: e000 bus ID: 07:00.0
           IF: enp7s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 278.05 GiB (14.9%)
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: HP model: SSD EX950 2TB size: 1.82 TiB
           ID-2: /dev/nvme1n1 vendor: HP model: SSD EX950 512GB size: 476.94 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 434.17 GiB used: 20.27 GiB (4.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme1n1p2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 34.53 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme1n1p3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 43.5 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 47 C
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 gpu: nvidia fan: 0%
Info:      Processes: 280 Uptime: 2h 07m Memory: 31.39 GiB used: 2.64 GiB (8.4%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.1.0
           Shell: zsh v: 5.7.1 inxi: 3.0.35

The regular time interval makes it seem like power saving may be responsible.

As a temporary troubleshooting test, disable the tlp:

sudo systemctl mask tlp

Reboot, then test if the problem persists.

If there is no improvement then re-enable tlp, although tlp is not strictly required on a desktop computer.

To enable tlp again:

sudo systemctl unmask tlp
sudo systemctl enable tlp

Also check if a bios update is available.

1 Like

You could also try adding a kernel boot parameter:

First make a backup of /etc/default/grub:

sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak

The following command will add a GRUB kernel boot parameter to /etc/default/grub:

sudo sed '/^GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=/s/"$/ pcie_aspm=off "/g' -i /etc/default/grub

After adding the boot parameter(s) , run:

sudo update-grub 

Reboot, and test your connection for improvement.

*sed magic courtesy of @dalto

1 Like

Trying the TLP suggestion now then I will report back.

The TLP mask did not seem to work. Ran the command like you said then rebooted. Is the second suggestion still valid or was it another way to achieve the same thing?

It disables pci power saving.

To reverse the changes:

sudo cp /etc/default/grub.bak /etc/default/grub
2 Likes

Tried with the change in place and my internet still has issues. Doesn't seem like it is a power issue I guess? Do you happen to know what to try from here?

You could try downgrading the linux-firmware package. The intel firmware has been having issues recently. Search the forum for information on downgrading.

1 Like

Per the OP, I already downgraded to the one from 20190514 which was the one recommended to downgrade to. Should I go farther?

Wouldn't hurt.

Network Manager 1.20 has been having issues as well. I downgraded to v1.18 at the last set of updates because it broke my wifi. That resolved my issue. I then switched to ConnMan as I do not want to be in a partial upgrade condition.

If you wish to try switching to ConnMan I posted a tutorial here:

1 Like

I will give the firmware a shot and go lower, but I already switched to netctl so I don't know if switching to a third system will do anything. Maybe I need to give up and run a cable across my apartment

I'm not sure how many of the kernels you have tested, but I'd definitely test 5.3. it would also be a good idea to test the most recent real time kernel.

Sorry about forgetting your post details, but I deal with a lot of different networking threads.

I am having this problem, and there doesn't appear to be anyone working on fixing this issue. I am very concerned about the lack of quality control with Manjaro. Is this an issue someone is attempting to resolve? Or should I find a different Linux distro? This trial and error approach to bandaging is not acceptable.

Try this service I wrote for this issue:

1 Like

@corcaigher I see you were on the forum fairly recently and I posted my service quite some time ago. Have you had a chance to test the service yet. From my testing it works extremely well and restores a lost connection in only 5 seconds (or so).

While not a fix, it is a passable alternative until a proper fix is turned up. I guess if you game, losing connectivity for 5 seconds every 20 minutes might be a big deal. Unless you are a gamer, I would think this service will make your connection stable enough for most internet activities. Not a solution, but if your connection only drops infrequently this is a workable alternative.

Please let me know if you need assistance with getting my service working. I have provided very in depth instructions on how to create and enable the service, but some inexperienced users might require assistance setting it up.

If you do not wish to use my service please list all the fixes you have attempted to implement and I will perhaps be able to offer further alternatives.

At your time of posting you had only viewed one other thread besides this where you posted. I now see you have read a total of two threads on the forum. If you wish to find a solution to your issue you will always find users on the forum willing to assist, but the responsibility of correcting problems on your system is yours and yours alone. A small distribution can not possibly correct all bugs found in kernels or drivers.

You need to research and troubleshoot issues yourself if you wish to find a proper solution. Otherwise, use my service as a temporary workaround until you find a proper fix.

1 Like

I am sorry, but you misunderstood my post. This dropping does not occur in other Linux distros (and I have used many), this is the first time I have encountered this issue in 14 years of using Linux. My point is this needs to be addressed immediately if Manjaro would like to be a leader in the community. Your suggestion 'sudo sytemctl mask tlp' is not a valid command. Did you mean systemctl? It is not a solution, just a bandage. Thanks for your input, I will try to tolerate this ridiculous and quite annoying bug, hoping someone is actually working to fix the problem, promptly.

Excuse my frankness, but you misunderstand how a rolling distribution works. Static distros such as Debian, Ubuntu, and Mint use older core components. Arch/Manjaro uses the newest versions of kernels, drivers, systemd, Network Manager, linux-firmware, etc, etc, etc, etc. Any component can introduce a regression that affects networking. and that is not the responsibility of an independent distribution to fix.

The responsibility lies with the upstream project that introduced the new bug to correct it. It is the responsibility of the Linux user who experiences a bug to identify the issue and file a bug report with the upstream project. If you have been a Linux user for 14 years I would have thought you'd know this by now.

I personally find your attitude unacceptable. Where is your accountability? Linux is a free operating system, you are expected to troubleshoot your own issues to identify and report bugs.

If you did not want to use my service I requested that you provide information regarding what you have done to try and correct your issue. With this information I could have assisted you by providing alternatives you might not have tested. You couldn't even be bothered to do that.

How do you expect to resolve your issue when from all appearances you have searched for no information on the forum and have provided zero details with regards to your hardware, OS, DE, or fixes that you have attempted.

If you have been a Linux user for 14years I would think you'd recognize a simple typo for what it is, without requiring clarification.

You are once again mistaken. Using sudo systemctl mask tlp is not intended to be a solution. It is intended to be a troubleshooting step to identify if the power saving options in tlp are contributing to the disconnect issue.

Once it is identified if tlp is contributing to the problem, then the tlp options can systematically be changed until the problem is resolved.

"You have no frame of reference here, @corcaigher , You’re like a child who wanders in the middle of a movie."

You are not the originator of this thread, and without proper details (which you have refused to provide) there is little point in continuing with your issue on this thread anymore. You have provided no information to lead us to believe your issue is the same as the OP.

As such, you are simply hijacking the OP's thread as you have provided zero information with which we could deduce your issues are one and the same.

If you wish your issue to be resolved and want others to provide you with further assistance I would suggest you open your own help thread. On your help thread please provide the proper outputs to diagnose your issue and all attempts you have made to correct your problem. Without your cooperation in providing this required information there is little chance of your issue being resolved.

This thread appears abandoned by the OP, so I see little point in continuing to help on this thread with a user who is neither cooperative in providing requested information nor the originator of the thread. This thread would be better put to rest until the OP returns for further assistance.

4 Likes

Separate issues go in separate threads.
If OP @holojack returns and would like this thread reopened then they can PM a moderator.

Forum kindly sponsored by