Issues after power outage

Hey everyone, so last night I was playing a game on my computer. It was storming pretty bad and the power went out. I didn't want to risk it going out again so I just got off for the night. Now today when I boot it up I get to the login screen can sign in but after that its just a black screen with a mouse cursor. I can get to the command line with CTRL + ALT + F2 and sign in but not sure what else to do.

CPU: AMD Ryzen quad-core (not sure what kind but it's fairly old)
GPU: EVGA GTX 750TI

1 Like

I tried this but it boots straight to a black screen afterwords and does nothing.

The second thing that you suggested to do did not seem to fix the problem :frowning:

if the mouse is moving you are fine

Just to be sure ...

sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

systemctl enable haveged --now

systemctl reboot

That still did not help. I was thinking about reinstalling KDE (like this guide). But I'm not sure if that would get rid of the programs and other personal files i have installed.

Make a backup. Always backup your personal files. Software can be reinstalled ... yes.

What would be the best way to do that? The computer has a SSD and I have one of those adapters that i can plug it into my computer but the problem is that (correct me if i am wrong) windows can not natively read linux file systems.

Also, I have had issues like this before. How can I prevent them?

The first few times i was decently sure that it was the hardrive as it was very old and files would randomly go corrupt. After switching to the SSD this is the 1st time i have had any issues.

I forgot to mention the specs in my original post and i will add an edit but it has an AMD (I don't know the exact model but I am fairly sure it is ryzen with 4 cores.) and a gtx 750TI

Before you consider going the full reinstall route create a boot disk from any DE or distro you know works from a live environment. If the live environment does not boot properly it's possible you have severe corruption of even possibly hardware damage from the power outage.

I think you should fsck your drives from the live environment to test your drives for errors. If you cannot boot from the live environment from an ISO that you know was previously working then you'll need to check your hardware very carefully for damage that might have been caused by a power spike.

2 Likes

My computer booted to a boot USB no problem. I ran fsck for both sda partitions (my mother board has EFI).

For /dev/sda1 (EFI system) I get:

fsck from util-linux 2.33.1
fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
/dev/sda1: 6 files, 70/76646 clusters

For /dev/sda2 (Linux filesystem)

e2fsck 1.44.6 (5-Mar-2019)
/dev/sda2: clean, 629657/30507008 files, 22947046/122018696 blocks

I also ran fsck -f and for /dev/sda1 i got:

fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
/dev/sda1: 6 files, 70/76646 clusters

for /dev/sda2 i got:

e2fsck 1.44.6 (5-Mar-2019)
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/sda2: 629657/30507008 files (0.9% non-contiguous), 22947046/122018696 blocks

So it does not look like there are any issues. Is there anything else i can try? I really don't want to have to do a fresh install if i do not have to.

Drive corruption would be the most obvious suspect, but if they are clean then I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point.

Have you run:

sudo update-grub

If not that might be a good thing to do.

Sadly that did not help. I was planning on using this computer as more of a server anyway so I might just install Ubuntu server. Thanks for the help!

So you have a hardware issue, then? Bad cable, bad BIOS version, bad cable, bad or too small PSU... ?

If you are regularly suffering from power outages then investing in a UPS will be a good idea. Repeated forced power-offs will break a computer pretty quickly.

Yeah i get that. But even with the hold hard drive i never force powered it down and it still ended up with issues. Issues like the computer would run fine for a day and next boot it would break (happened a few times). and after the SSD it had been working for a few weeks now until this happened. We don't normally see many outages but i was thinking about investing in a UPS. Still, i think im still going to use ubuntu server or something like that (It was my original plan but figured i would try this first).

Very much sounds like a hardware issue with is unrelated to the OS.

1 Like

hmm. How about i try switching to something like Ubuntu and seeing if the issue continues. From what i have read, Manjaro is based off of arch linux and I could not get base arch to install.

Worth trying. If the issue doesn't reoccur then it might narrow it down to something e.g. in the Manjaro kernel.

I will try later today, I will post an update in a week or two (if all goes well).

Also, if it was a hardware issue is there any tools or ways to test the hardware? If not, what parts do you think could be causing the issue? I was thinking maybe the power supply was bad, then it might not give the SSD a steady voltage making things go corrupt. The power supply in here is a cooler master, so its not a cheep chinese knock off.

smartctl (in smartmontools) will spot disk issues.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by