Hello! This is my first time posting on this forum so my apologies if I am repeating something, I believe there isn't anyone who has answered this specific question yet, but if I'm wrong, please point me in the right direction! The goal here is fixing the problem lol.
I just moved over to Manjaro from Ubuntu and I have been enjoying the experience greatly! I would like to think am well versed in linux as a platform for development, and i3 has definitely helped me be a more productive person! That said there are some challenges with running it on this laptop that i had not expected. Specifically, the presence of optimus and gpu switching in general. For day to day tasks this has not been an issue and I have acclimatized to simply using intel graphics and being okay with it. On my laptop screen its not an issue at all! Unfortunately, while working at my desk with an external monitor, I experience horrible screen tearing and I am altogether unable to take advantage of the reasonably powerful graphics card I have to do any kind of gaming! I am by no means a hardcore gamer, and i don't expect flawless at all times, but I would like to be able to get the same kind of performance i got while gaming on ubuntu, specifically in the Witcher 3 where i saw 50-60FPS pretty consistently at 1080p.
I spent a good bit of time on various forums, reading, testing, and generally mucking around with bumblebee, various xorg configurations, optimus-manager, etc. But nothing has allowed me to replicate the performance i was seeing previously. Its getting to the point where i am worried i am simply cluttering my laptop and am unaware of where the problem lies. If anyone has any experience setting up something like this, some guidance would be much appreciated! I am more than willing to answer any questions people have, but honestly i have tried so much at this point that listing it would start becoming repetitive quickly and would end up simply demonstrating a lack of understanding of my own setup .
Thanks for any help i can get! I will end this post with some information about my laptop, I am more than willing to provide more if need be.
inxi -Fxz output:
System: Host: amthy15-pc Kernel: 4.19.16-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: i3 4.16 Distro: Manjaro Linux Machine: Type: Laptop System: Notebook product: P95_HP v: N/A serial: <filter> Mobo: Notebook model: P95_HP serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1.05.12RLS2 date: 02/09/2018 Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 53.0 Wh condition: 53.0/53.2 Wh (100%) model: Notebook BAT status: Full CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-7700HQ bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake rev: 9 L2 cache: 6144 KiB flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 44944 Speed: 900 MHz min/max: 800/3800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1641 2: 900 3: 898 4: 1212 5: 900 6: 986 7: 924 8: 900 Graphics: Device-1: Intel vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 Device-2: NVIDIA GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile] vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK driver: nvidia v: 415.27 bus ID: 01:00.0 Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: intel unloaded: nvidia resolution: VIRTUAL1.447-1920x1080~60Hz OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 630 (Kaby Lake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.2 direct render: Yes Audio: Device-1: Intel CM238 HD Audio vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.16-1-MANJARO Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK driver: r8168 v: 8.045.08-NAPI port: d000 bus ID: 04:00.0 IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter> Device-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: d000 bus ID: 06:00.0 IF: wlp6s0 state: up mac: <filter> Drives: Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 74.89 GiB (6.4%) ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB size: 232.89 GiB ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM035-1RK172 size: 931.51 GiB Partition: ID-1: / size: 211.10 GiB used: 23.58 GiB (11.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.10 GiB used: 54.8 MiB (0.3%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3 Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 69.5 C mobo: N/A Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A Info: Processes: 214 Uptime: 2h 48m Memory: 15.55 GiB used: 1.57 GiB (10.1%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 8.2.1 Shell: bash v: 5.0.0 inxi: 3.0.30