JACK(2-DBus) + PulseAudio: outputting through bluetooth headset

Short question:
How can I reroute JACK applications output (e.g.: hydrogen, ardour) to my bluetooth headset where the only supported way is to use PulseAudio because bluez5 is specifically written for it?

Long question:
I have a bluetooth headset which already works with PulseAudio through bluez5. I want to use it for output device for my JACK-aware applications, e.g.: hydrogen, ardour. I've setup jack2-dbus and those applications are working fine side by side with applications that use PulseAudio. However, they can't output to the bluetooth headset because JACK has no support for it, only PulseAudio has. The problem is the established way of having both JACK and PulseAudio working together is to have PulseAudio as intermediate layer instead of the top layer, so audio comes from PulseAudio can be rerouted to JACK (to have it output to the card currently held by JACK), but not the other way around, otherwise there will be a cycle. Is there any solution for this problem currently?

Does aplay -l list your headset? You need to get alsa driver to recognize your headset first.

There was the most complete tutorial on using JACK I have ever seen published here just a few days ago. A sticky?

Regards

I'm the author btw :slight_smile:
How to replace Pulseaudio with Jack, Jack and PulseAudio Together as Friend

1 Like

See what I mean, @leledumbo? :slight_smile:

You got THE MAN's attention. Your problem is already fixed. :smiley:

Regards

No, it haven't been fixed yet. For some reason the latest bluez5 only supports pulseaudio. I got the same question in the tutorial topic there but I don't know if there's a workaround for that because I don't have a Bluetooth headset on hand. According to Archwiki and ALSA driver support list they mentioned bluetooth drivers are supported by ALSA. But maybe bluez5 is not making it possible to detect using ALSA, it's weird though because PulseAudio is just an audio server while ALSA is the driver. I hope we can find a workaround here, if he can see his sound card listed in aplay then he can use alsa_out and alsa_in to get the clients shown in Jack patchbay.

With everything else mentioned--and no disrespect to @Crazy4Ponies--but there should be a re-direct that should be happening but isn't. Question is, why?

Regards

OK, nuff with the Ponies. That's a @badbodh thingee.

What re direct do you mean? I don't understand :confused:
What's ponies, Captain Obvious? :smile:

The most common re-direct I've found--when it comes to Bluetooth support in ANY sound architecture, is to first KILL everything else. This is where KDEs Activities can be useful. And make it so in System Settings. It's a dev/nul output, as far as I can recall, but it has been a LONG time since last running JACK.

And, yeah I know its a hack, but when you kill everything else, you can isolate & define the problem.

I have/use an external Bluetooth speaker setup @crazy4Gnomes, we can use it to troubleshoot any time you would like. Just give me until I re-install KDE.

Respect.

1 Like

It'll be great if you want to help man. Thanks before it's happening, Cap :smile:

Does aplay -l list your headset?

No, as you know that bluez5 is weird enough to support PulseAudio only instead of ALSA. If only they support ALSA, the bluetooth headset should appear in QJackCtl (perhaps with alsa_out help) and I can simply route system playback there.

The most common re-direct I've found--when it comes to Bluetooth support in ANY sound architecture, is to first KILL everything else. This is where KDEs Activities can be useful. And make it so in System Settings. It's a dev/nul output, as far as I can recall, but it has been a LONG time since last running JACK.

Hmm... I don't really understand how this could solve the problem. I mean, although I use KDE as well, the solution should be DE independent as it's purely sound servers communication problem.

I guess there's currently no viable solution other than hoping for bluez team to support ALSA again as the removal seemed intended :confused:

Welcome back, wired headset...

1 Like

I'm just waiting for Google Chrome to be updated in the AUR before re-installing Arch + KDE/Plasma or GNOME and seeing what's what. And WPS Office. I really dislike it when packages go offline, but oh well...

Pulseaudio is a depends of GNOME, and I've never tried replacing ALSA+Pullseaudio with JACK+Pulseaudio. JACK should be very viable in KDE (w/Bluetooth), since it was introduced (IIRC) subsequent to Plasma (KDE 4.0). ALSA standalone was standard pre-Plasma.

ATM, I'm running Deepin's Deepin, until Chrome & WPS break free in the AUR, as they came installed with it.

Forum kindly sponsored by