KDE Compositor keeps breaking

I really do not know where to start. As of late, I've had issues with KWin segfaulting a lot and now compositing will just stop working. All my desktop effects (Blur, Fade, etc.) will stop working, and I can't restart them without restarting the PC, and even then, that sometimes doesn't work.

Here's my system info. Plasma 5.10.3 and Nvidia 375.66. I've tried all compositing backends and none of them fix the issue.

Some specfic error messages would help

journalctl -p err -b

Any errors in xorg logs?

Have you made any custom nvidia driver config changes?

When you say "as of late", was it after a particular update these issues commenced? If so take a look in pacman.log for any potential errors and / or .pacnew files.

What are your KDE compositor settings?

Is your OpenGL config correct?

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

My settings were almost exactly like yours, save for smooth scaling method.

No specific changes to Nvidia drivers, no errors or .pacnew files of relevance. I managed to make it happen again and this is what came up in journalctl:

Jul 18 23:35:55 buck-pc kwin_x11[1044]: kwin_core: OpenGL 2 compositing setup failed
Jul 18 23:35:55 buck-pc kwin_x11[1044]: kwin_core: Failed to initialize compositing, compositing disabled
Jul 18 23:42:55 buck-pc kwin_x11[1044]: kwin_core: OpenGL 2 compositing setup failed
Jul 18 23:42:55 buck-pc kwin_x11[1044]: kwin_core: Failed to initialize compositing, compositing disabled
Jul 18 23:42:59 buck-pc kwin_x11[1044]: kwin_core: OpenGL 2 compositing setup failed
Jul 18 23:42:59 buck-pc kwin_x11[1044]: kwin_core: Failed to initialize compositing, compositing disabled
Jul 18 23:43:01 buck-pc kwin_x11[1044]: kwin_core: OpenGL 2 compositing setup failed
Jul 18 23:43:01 buck-pc kwin_x11[1044]: kwin_core: Failed to initialize compositing, compositing disabled

OpenGL 2 compositing failing, OpenGL 3.1 not available in your compositor settings?

What is the output of glxinfo command above?

Check kwinrc has

OpenGLIsUnsafe=false

I always add this two line in my /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "IndirectGLX" "on"
EndSection

and in de "Device" section i add this, under BoardName ...

Option  "TripleBuffer"  "1"

The kwinrc always has this:

[Compositing]
AnimationSpeed=1
Backend=OpenGL
Enabled=true
GLCore=true
GLPlatformInterface=glx
GLPreferBufferSwap=p
GLTextureFilter=2
HiddenPreviews=5
OpenGLIsUnsafe=false
WindowsBlockCompositing=false
XRenderSmoothScale=false

I hope this helps!

1 Like

@sueridgepipe OpenGL 3.1 is set in my compositor settings.

Here is the output from the glxinfo command:

/home/bucks> glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.66
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50 NVIDIA
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.66
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50 NVIDIA
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 375.66
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

My kwinrc is the default one included with Manjaro, only containing the following:

[Desktops]
Number=2

@bogdancovaciu the "Extensions" section already exists in my nvidia.conf. Do I still need the "ServerFlags" section? There is also no BoardName in the "Device" section. Here is my current nvidia.conf.

The default kwinrc should have at least this entry before the one with the number of desktops:

[Compositing]
OpenGLIsUnsafe=false

As @sueridgepipe suggested

The BoardName is under VendorName is the Device Section, at least on my configuration
The ServerFlags are not necessary but i kept them from an old habit :slight_smile:

The default kwinrc doesn't, as visible on the Manjaro github. I will put it in, though, and report back if I keep having issues.

Also I reported the bug to KDE. This seems to be an upstream issue with the nvidia driver: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=382485

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by