KDE Login/Lock screens quite slow


I'm quite new to Manjaro and I'm having some problems with KDE Lock/Login screens. Every time the machine goes into suspend mode the lockscreen takes some time to load after showing the actual date. Login screen also takes some time but much less than the lockscreen. There's also a few occasional black screens. I've done some research about this problem and it seems a very well known KDE issue mainly with Nvidia GPUs + QT.
My machine has a very old GPU (it's a Intel GMA3100) which doesn't even have OpenGL 2.0, so I'm using XRender/No Composition at all and everything else works fine. I've done some tweaks to the graphics settings but with no luck.

Just added QSG_RENDERER_LOOP=basic into etc/enviroment but it seems nothing has changed. journalctl -p 3 -xb only gives me an NGINX missing favicon icon related error but nothing more. Before changing to XRender journalctl used to show a ton of OpenGL related errors but with XRender no errors are shown.

English isn't my main language, so please forgive my spelling/grammatical errors if there is any.

By the way, any ideas on this issue? Thanks in advance.

Should be
but on the other hand, you shouldn't need to use that

This two statements are "confusing" unless you talk about a hibrid laptop. Please provide:
inxi -Fxxxz --no-host

Should be
but on the other hand, you shouldn't need to use that

Sorry! Mispelled while writing. It's actually QSG_RENDER_LOOP. Should I just remove it from etc/environment then?

I got confused about it too since I haven't seen any reports about Intel GPUs, but apparently it can happen in both as it ain't hybrid. Maybe drivers related?

inxi -Fxxxz --no-host output:

System:    Kernel: 5.4.2-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.4 tk: Qt 5.13.2 
           wm: kwin_x11 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5KPL-VM v: x.xx serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1003 
           date: 08/23/2010 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Penryn rev: A L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 22655 
           Speed: 1998 MHz min/max: 1998/2830 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2210 2: 1998 3: 1998 4: 1998 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics vendor: ASUSTeK P5KPL-VM driver: i915 v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:29c2 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.6 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa compositor: kwin_x11 
           resolution: 1600x900~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 v: 1.4 Mesa 19.2.7 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK P5KPL-VM driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:27d8 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.2-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK P5KPL-VM driver: atl1 v: 2.1.3 port: 0400 
           bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 1969:1048 
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 698.64 GiB used: 8.66 GiB (1.2%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST3750640NS size: 698.64 GiB speed: <unknown> serial: <filter> rev: 3CNR 
           scheme: MBR 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 156.49 GiB used: 8.29 GiB (5.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
           ID-2: /home size: 525.24 GiB used: 375.0 MiB (0.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3 
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 174 Uptime: 10m Memory: 3.84 GiB used: 809.4 MiB (20.6%) Init: systemd v: 242 Compilers: gcc: 9.2.0 
           Shell: bash v: 5.0.11 running in: konsole inxi: 3.0.37

I just installed LightDM Slick Greeter so the slowdowns at login are now solved. The SDDM Lockscreen on the other side started flickering randomly sometimes.

This is the only GPU reported, so nothing to do with nvidia

Have a look here and try the workaround from second comment:

I think all Qt applications have that defined in their source code, as a variable. If doesn't work "normal" will use that instead. At least that is what i understand, so it can be removed from environment.

export VDPAU_DRIVER=va_glat ~/.xinitrcseems to do nothing. I think the issue may be coming from the GPU itself and not SDDM. Just found out that if I type the password while the screen is black or "frozen" I can actually unlock the screen after a few seconds. Screen tearing is present though.
Also I've found that some video players (like YouTube's) are performing very poorly, almost like videos are running at 10 frames per second which also happens with Brave Browser interface. Since I rely heavily on media I'm thinking about falling back to XFCE as I'm used to it and as it seems far less video intensive.

Thanks for your help and time, @bogdancovaciu.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by