KMail 20.04 crashes when I change to the inbox

Hi,

Yesterdy was still all right! I didn't install anything new!

This morning KMail / Kontact started and when switching to the inbox the program simply crashes.

I really need to get my e-mail!
How do I get my e-mail or what could be the reason?

Below is the error output when I start KMail from comandline:

Error loading text-to-speech plug-in "flite"
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 1686, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 1689, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 1692, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 1699, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 1733, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 2102, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 2116, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 2119, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
*** KMail got signal 11 (Exiting)
*** Dead letters dumped.
/tmp/messageviewer_bFEFBE.index.1.6 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_DvAwbS.index.4 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_HUVkyV.index.1.5 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_JMKJLS.index.1.2 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_MhZXpv.index.3 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_MqWiqg.index.1.3 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_nCXRsW.index.2 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_UWreGx.index.pkpass was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_VPJFMD.index.1.4 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_bFEFBE.index.1.6 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_DvAwbS.index.4 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_HUVkyV.index.1.5 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_JMKJLS.index.1.2 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_MhZXpv.index.3 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_MqWiqg.index.1.3 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_nCXRsW.index.2 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_UWreGx.index.pkpass was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_VPJFMD.index.1.4 was removed .
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 12 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 14 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 21 and type 'Read', disabling...
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kmail path = /usr/bin pid = 2839
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/kmail 
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

In the meantime I have found the reason for the constant crash of Kmail.

The reason was a HTML e-mail from DHL (German parcel service) with a return lable (pdf file), a data matrix code (PNG file) and a Apple wallet (pkpass).

I found out, as I only received two e-mails since the day before and KMail crashed when I changed to the inbox. When I deleted the email from the folder
/home/pierre/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0/inbox/
KMail was running again. I tried to open the e-mail file by double-clicking it, but even then KMail crashed. Then I copied the file to a USB stick. On my laptop with KUbuntu 18.04 and an older KMail version the e-mail file could be opened without problems.

For me now the question is why the e-mail can be opened in an older version of KMail - maybe there is a bug in the newer version.

In the meanwhile I updated my laptop from Kubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 and the e-mail file doesn't open anymore. So i think it's a problem with newer kmail versions.

I open a bug report at the KDE developers.

The KDE comunity found a bug in pkpass. Following commit update the KDE PIM Add-ons and solve the error. In the near future the behaviour described at the beginning of the forum post will be history.

Forum kindly sponsored by