KMail 20.04 crashes when I change to the inbox

Hi,

Yesterdy was still all right! I didn't install anything new!

This morning KMail / Kontact started and when switching to the inbox the program simply crashes.

I really need to get my e-mail!
How do I get my e-mail or what could be the reason?

Below is the error output when I start KMail from comandline:

Error loading text-to-speech plug-in "flite"
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 1686, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 1689, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 1692, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 1699, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 1733, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 2102, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 2116, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 2119, resource id: 142606446, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3
*** KMail got signal 11 (Exiting)
*** Dead letters dumped.
/tmp/messageviewer_bFEFBE.index.1.6 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_DvAwbS.index.4 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_HUVkyV.index.1.5 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_JMKJLS.index.1.2 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_MhZXpv.index.3 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_MqWiqg.index.1.3 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_nCXRsW.index.2 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_UWreGx.index.pkpass was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_VPJFMD.index.1.4 was not removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_bFEFBE.index.1.6 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_DvAwbS.index.4 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_HUVkyV.index.1.5 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_JMKJLS.index.1.2 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_MhZXpv.index.3 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_MqWiqg.index.1.3 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_nCXRsW.index.2 was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_UWreGx.index.pkpass was removed .
/tmp/messageviewer_VPJFMD.index.1.4 was removed .
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 12 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 14 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 21 and type 'Read', disabling...
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kmail path = /usr/bin pid = 2839
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/kmail 
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

In the meantime I have found the reason for the constant crash of Kmail.

The reason was a HTML e-mail from DHL (German parcel service) with a return lable (pdf file), a data matrix code (PNG file) and a Apple wallet (pkpass).

I found out, as I only received two e-mails since the day before and KMail crashed when I changed to the inbox. When I deleted the email from the folder
/home/pierre/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0/inbox/
KMail was running again. I tried to open the e-mail file by double-clicking it, but even then KMail crashed. Then I copied the file to a USB stick. On my laptop with KUbuntu 18.04 and an older KMail version the e-mail file could be opened without problems.

For me now the question is why the e-mail can be opened in an older version of KMail - maybe there is a bug in the newer version.

In the meanwhile I updated my laptop from Kubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 and the e-mail file doesn't open anymore. So i think it's a problem with newer kmail versions.

I open a bug report at the KDE developers.

The KDE comunity found a bug in pkpass. Following commit update the KDE PIM Add-ons and solve the error. In the near future the behaviour described at the beginning of the forum post will be history.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by