KWin crash after changing rendering backend to Open GL 3.1

Okay this problem is somewhat serious...

I changed the rendering backend to Open GL 3.1, according to this post in this forum about 5 tweaks for KDE desktop, following the instructions and checking if my PC supports 3.1; and KWin crashed... I had to reboot, and after rebooting all of my previous applications started one by one, slowly and part by part!

I'm feeling something is off about the desktop- it doesn't feel that smooth and fast as before, somewhat lagging I think, and I'm seeing shimmering screen/stuttering when I scroll in Firefox...

Below is the screenshot of the compositor and what it says now:

Screenshot_20170909_202804

Below is my specs after running glxinfo | grep -i opengl

OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Desktop 
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.1.8
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.1.8
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 17.1.8
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

The screenshot I provided says I can alternatively enable Xrender; when I run inxi -Fx, you guys can see that there's a message about xrandr, that it's not found(this has being shown since installation):

Resuming in non X mode: xrandr not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
System:    Host: apollonius Kernel: 4.9.48-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 7.1.1)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.10.5 (Qt 5.9.1) Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:   Device: desktop System: ASUS product: All Series
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H81M-C v: Rev X.0x BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2401 date: 06/02/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-4460 (Haswell rev.3) (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 25549
           clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 803 MHz 3: 800 MHz 4: 810 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: N/A drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting) tty size: 133x34
Audio:     Card Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0

Bottom line, what's my next step and what should be done now?

It should work. Click on Re-enable OpenGL, drag the Animation speed to the second line to Instant. Reboot and if you get some errors, or Kwin crashes, let us know.

2 Likes

glxinfo looks okay.

Is this a one off crash is it happening regularly?

Does setting the rendering backend back to OpenGL 2.0 stop the crashing?

In your Startup / Shutdown options have you set starting with an empty session?

2 Likes

@bogdancovaciu Did what you said, everything seems to be fine now... below is my compositor settings:

Screenshot_20170909_211421

Are the settings alright?

1 Like

@bogdancovaciu Could you please tell me anything about the above message?

Could be possible that you don't have the xorg-xrandr package installed, but i wonder why ... I have it installed. Maybe because i have an Nvidia card and i use the nonfree drivers ... ?!?!

This isn't that much of an issue is it then?

I guess not, but also i don't quite know how Intel graphics work with the linux drivers. I have seen on somebody else post the same thing:

and i don't quite understand why is unloaded: modesetting
I learned already that @sueridgepipe has way more vast understanding of the video drivers ...

Maybe this article might be a hint on the modsetting issue( I don't really understand it)- I did the same as it is told here when I was using Linux Mint...

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3

Please search for the following line in the article:

Improve video performance for Intel graphics

Maybe by default Manjaro doesn't have the old xorg xrandr enabled?!:confused:

xrandr is not required. and it does seem to be missing by default on newer installs
(I've noticed messages like yours on new inxis being shared)
Just to quote the man for xrandr:

Xrandr is used to set the size, orientation and/or reflection of the outputs for a screen. It can also set the screen size.

Because X works with priorities. Since the modesettings driver is a fallback it has the lowest priority, so it will be loaded, then xwill find another compatible driver "intel" with a higher priority and loads up intel + unloads modesettings

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by